Saturday, February 07, 2009

Wedding Bells

There's another LGBT daytime milestone coming up in the near future: the wedding of All My Children's Bianca & Reese on February 16th! This doesn't give me much time to catch up on the whole Rianca storyline, but I think I'm up for the challenge.

This will be the first wedding between two major LGBT characters in daytime history, although technically the dreadful (not to mention homophobic & transphobic) soap Passions beat them to the punch with daytime's first ever gay wedding at the very end of the show. Minor characters Norma & Edna shared a commitment ceremony as the show ended its run on DirecTV, nearly a year after being cancelled by NBC.

This is completely different, though, because Bianca & Reese are not only major characters on the show, they've been engaged for awhile and also share a child. This is pretty groundbreaking stuff.

I'm not thrilled, however, with the news that Eden Riegel, who plays Bianca, will be leaving All My Children shortly. Tamara Braun's Reese will be remaining with the show, which doesn't really bode well for the newlyweds.

Still, the wedding itself will be a huge milestone, one that I hope we'll see repeated between many other LGBT characters in the future.

No comments: