Monday, February 16, 2009

Historic Nuptials

I'm not feeling very well, so this will be a lot briefer than I'd like, but I wanted to write about the historic wedding today on All My Children. I still haven't fully caught up on the Rianca storyline, but I of course tuned in for the first LGBT wedding in daytime between two major characters.

I was pleased, overall. The ceremony was like countless other romantic soap weddings over the years, which was just what I was hoping for: an LGBT wedding treated like any other wedding between two people in love.

I was disappointed that they chose to shift constantly back and forth during the vows to another storyline, often having the vows as a voice over during the action of the other story. When soap couples, especially popular ones, finally tie the knot, they are usually the main focus!

Still, it was another groundbreaking milestone for All My Children to add to its very long history of being a trail blazing soap opera.

I hope this is just the first of many such weddings in the years to come on daytime TV.

No comments: