Thursday, February 26, 2009

Idol Night


I hate how wrapped up I'm getting in American Idol because of my crush on Adam Lambert! I was on the edge of my seat for an entire hour tonight, right down the the final minutes of the show when it came down to Adam & Nick for the last spot.

Happily, Adam made it into the Top 12 and my ensuing cheers no doubt convinced my neighbors that I'd either just won the lottery or had completely lost my mind at last.

Of course, Adam winning a spot in the Top 12 does mean I will have to continue watching American Idol and my torture will continue for weeks or even months to come.

At least I'm not the only one who hates the show but thinks they're doing something right this season. Brian Juergens from AfterElton, a self confessed hater of the show, had this to say:

"This season the show has tucked a few bona fide wildcards and rule-breakers into the herd of heartstring-tugging walking stereotypes (Construction workers with soul! Single moms with a dream! All they're missing is a hooker with a heart of gold...): Glamtastic musical theater goth Adam Lambert and performance artist (of sorts) Norman (Nick?) Gentle.

I won't even get into the fact that both of these guys sent my gaydar into overdrive, because let's face it: even if either one of them IS gay, FOX would never let them say as much (our queries to the net have been met with deafening silence). No, the reason that these guys are a step in the right direction is because they're proudly different and not trying to sell America the same recycled Idol crap. ...

As for Lambert, the fact that the show is letting a Wicked chorus boy and lead singer of a gender-bending glam goth group strut his Maxwell Demon on stage is something in and of itself, as is Randy Jackson's insistence that this is what America is all about, and where it's headed. I think that's a cue that the younger generation is much more comfortable with fluid sexuality, men who aren't afraid to be effeminate, and general camp."

Maybe I picked the right time to start watching? It was catching Adam's audition by chance that hooked me, after all. I guess I just love gender bending glam chorus boys!

Anyway, Adam will have the next few weeks off from singing, as the final group of 12 perform next week and then the week after that is the Wild Card week which will finalize the Top 12.

As for the rest of the group so far, I was surprised but glad that cutie Kris got a spot (he's good eye candy, has a decent voice, and seems nice) and the other pick, Allison, was one of the women who impressed me last night. The first three, picked last week, all seem sort of bland and boring to me so far.

So, in closing, I'll quote a commenter from AfterElton: Vote Adam. Vote Often!

No comments: