Sunday, January 11, 2009

NPH on SNL

I just finished watching last night's Saturday Night Live with guest host Neil Patrick Harris. It has been a really long time since I've watched an SNL episode from start to finish. I usually just watch the few buzzworthy moments online, like the Tina Fey as Sarah Palin sketches from last fall, since the show itself tends to be way more miss than hit these days.

I couldn't avoid watching the whole thing with NPH hosting, though. You'll recall that I listed him as number one on my list of the top five hottest out gay celebrities last month, and I also happen to think that even aside from all of that, he's a very funny guy.

The show was actually pretty decent, for the most part, and Neil was great. I really could have done without the opening sketch where Rachel Maddow's sexuality was made the butt of the joke. I'm glad Neil wasn't a part of that.

The best sketch of the night for me was the gathering of Broadway characters at Sardis to discuss the hard times hitting the theatre world and what can be done about it. Neil played Mark from Rent and was completely adorable. The Frost/Other People sketch, with NPH playing David Frost interviewing other 70's era celebrities, was a close second. I also liked his Southern Air Traffic Controller, Fran, though the sketch itself wasn't all that great.

Of course, the hottest moment was probably his first sketch, when he played an exercise guru on the fourth hour of the Today show and one of his main moves was 'thrust'!

The digital short, with him playing the Doogie Howser theme song while backed up by an SNL symphony and dancers was pretty great, too.

AfterElton has a post about the show that includes several video links, so check it out if you can. If nothing else, watch the Broadway characters sketch to see NPH as Mark!

No comments: