Friday, January 09, 2009

Up on the Rooftop

Well, I finally got a chance to watch yesterday's episode of As the World Turns. I was hoping for some Luke & Lucinda scenes after the fall out over Brian's outing and I wasn't disappointed.

When the last episode with Luke & co ended, Lucinda seemed to be seeing Luke as a victim in the whole thing and not feeling any animosity towards him as the 'other man' in her marriage.

Yesterday's episode made it clear from the start, though, that Lucinda is very much holding a grudge towards her grandson. At first I was confused by this complete 180 and thought it was just more bad writing. It soon became clear, though, that Lucinda has become aware of the fact that Luke made his own pass at Brian on New Year's Eve. Since this knowledge was imparted off screen, we can only imagine that Luke's penchant for being painfully honest played a role there.

The episode started with Lucinda walking into a room and finding Luke there. She turned to leave as soon as she saw him, but Luke stopped her and told her that he'd leave. He couldn't do so in silence, though:

Luke: You know, for my whole life, you weren't just my Grandmother. You were a friend. You were somebody that I could tell anything and everything to.

Lucinda: Obviously not everything.

Luke: I didn't want to hurt you.

Lucinda: I thought you were going.

Luke: You can't even be in the same room with me?

Lucinda: What do you want, Luke? My new husband has been proved a fraud, the marriage is over. Isn't that sufficient humiliation and betrayal for you?

Luke: And you blame me?

Lucinda: If you are looking for somebody to listen to your pain, call Brian. I'm sure he'd be happy to assuage your-

Lily (walking in): Mother stop! You're not being fair. ... Don't blame Luke because Brian lied to you.

Lucinda: I'm not blaming him.

Luke: Could have fooled me.

Lucinda: Although I am still trying to understand why he never told me-

Luke: Could we please not talk about me like I'm not in the room?

Lucinda: -especially as that would have spared me a great deal of pain in this humiliating episode.

Luke: I wanted to tell you.

Lucinda: We are family! We're supposed to love one another, we're supposed to help one another!

Luke: You were so happy.

Lucinda: Happy? Happiness built on a lie. So I'm the blushing new bride and you're the one he wanted.

Luke: Look, I though it was like a temporary thing. I believed Brian when he said he loved you, I think he still may.

Lucinda: And that's why you kissed him.

Luke: No! Grandmother is has nothing to do- Look, I know it was wrong. And I'm sorry. And there's nothing you can say that will make me feel worse than I already do.

Seeing this tension between Luke & Lucinda is actually pretty good soap. They're two characters who've always been close and Lucinda was incredibly supportive of Luke from the very second she found out he was gay, unlike his own mother. It wouldn't have been believable for Lucinda to completely forgive Luke immediately for not telling her about Brian right away and when you throw in her knowledge that Luke kissed Brian, I would have been pretty disappointed if there hadn't been trouble between them.

I really hope the show will explore this tension and how it is ultimately resolved between them, rather than just sweeping it under the rug after a few episodes and having things go back to normal.

While Luke was dealing with the cold front at home, Noah was where Noah always is: working at Java. When Alison came in and asked how his New Year's Eve with Luke went, Noah told her that they'd broken up. He explained to a shocked Ali the circumstances behind the break up and Alison advised him not to let one mistake destroy everything that he & Luke have together.

Later, Alison met up with Casey and filled him in on the trouble between Oakdale's favorite gay couple. The two of them decided that they had to do something about this mess, and in true Lucy & Ethel style they hatched a plot.

Alison lured Luke to the roof of the hospital under the pretence that she wanted him to talk to Casey and find out if he was into her. Casey, meanwhile, lured Noah there to talk to Alison and see if she'd be interested in being more than friends with Casey.

Once they had the guys on the roof, Casey & Alison locked them out there so that they 'd talk and work things out between them. The guys did talk, but things didn't turn out quite the way that Alison & Casey hoped. I hate to quote so much dialogue, but this was a scene where what was said was pretty crucial. In fact, you should watch the scene if you have the time and haven't seen it already.

Luke: They're not going to let us down... until we talk.

Noah: I don't have anything to say.

Luke: Okay. Then I'll start. And I'll say the same thing I've said a hundred times before. Noah, I am so sorry.

Noah: Oh, I know! It just doesn't make it any better. You know, even if you were drunk, why Brian? You kept telling me how outraged you were whenever he made a pass at you. Either you were just lying through your teeth or there was some other reason.

Luke: You wanna know the reason?

Noah: Yeah.

Luke: It's because I knew he wanted me. I wasn't so sure with you.

Noah: I never cheated on you. Maddie and I-

Luke: You guys were so in sync.

Noah: Because we're friends! Friends who share weird taste in things, like old movies.

Luke: Noah, she used to be your girlfriend.

Noah: Before I admitted I was gay. To be with you!

Luke: I bet you regret that now, don't you?

Noah: Don't put words in my mouth.

Luke: How could you not? I obviously haven't lived up to your high standards.

Noah: I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to remain faithful.

Luke: No, it's not. It only is when you add perfect to that list.

Noah: Don't make this my fault that you threw yourself at Brian!

Luke: I'm not, Noah. I'm just trying to explain to you. With him, all I had to do was show up.

Noah: And that made you feel so great about yourself?

Luke: No! No, it didn't. It made me feel like crap. I messed up Noah, hardcore, and I admit it. But it's kind of hard not to when you have someone watching over your shoulder, just waiting for you to mess up.

Noah: So, what, I'm supposed to just forget about what you did?

Luke: No, but what happened to loving people, faults and all? You know, trying to make it through the long haul. Is it too much to ask you to love me for me, instead of who you want me to be?

Noah: Yeah, I do love you. But that doesn't mean you get a free pass every time you do something wrong. With love comes responsibility.

Luke:... In my family, when you love somebody, it's unconditional.

Noah: Really? Is that why when you saw me with Maddie, instead of loving me unconditionally you retaliated?

Luke: I don't know. I guess even coming from a loving family, I'm still messed up and insecure. But you know, so are you, or you would have believed me when I said that what happened with Brian was a huge mistake and that it meant nothing.

Noah: Maybe you're right, we are both messed up.

Luke: So, instead of pointing out each others faults, maybe we could try to help each other.

Noah: Maybe the answer isn't trying to fix us as a couple. Maybe the answer is to focus on fixing ourselves and stop hurting the people we care about.

Luke: So, we just go our separate ways for the good of- I don't even know what it's for the good of. Noah, I don't know how to do that.

Noah: I think the first step is to get off this roof.

And that's more or less where they left things. Luke & Noah are officially broken up and trying to 'fix themselves'. Alison & Casey, however, decided to continue their efforts to bring Nuke back together, but to be more subtle about it next time.

I really thought the scenes on the roof were very well done. First of all, Jake Silbermann really impressed me. I like Jake and he's done some good work as Noah in the past, but I thought he really brought his A game in these scenes. Noah is a more reserved character than Luke, which I like, but it doesn't give Jake a chance to really sink his teeth into a dramatic scene as much as other characters get to. When he does let loose, though, he doesn't disappoint.

It probably goes without saying that Van Hansis was incredible, but he was. These scenes on the roof were probably some of his best work to date.

I know the whole reason for the lack of sex between these two is that the network and producers are squeamish and nervous and generally out of touch with what the viewers really want, but I'm glad to see that they're at least using it as a plot point and not just ignoring it. Luke clearly has real issues with the fact that he & Noah haven't made love yet and feels insecure because of it, especially since it has been Noah putting on the breaks, first because of Ameera, then his father's death, and then because he wanted it to be special.

When Luke started mentioning the lack of sex, I was hopeful that it was going to lead to something. I didn't quite expect it to lead to this, but I still think breaking up over this issues is better than having them just be gay but virginal and never mention sex at all.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, if they stay on this break or if Alison & Casey's scheming gets them back together sooner rather than later.

No comments: