Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Germans Just Do it Better

AfterElton has an interview with Jo Weil (better known as Olli on Verboten Liebe) up in the latest installment of Gays of Our Lives, their weekly look at the goings on of gay soap characters worldwide.

Despite having expressed my preference for his co-star Thore Scholermann, I still think Jo is very sexy, and he has the most adorable smile. He & Thore are both very talented actors who really make Christian and Olli come alive onscreen.

Jo sounds like a really cool person, too. Here's part of the interview, but be sure to go to AfterElton and read the whole thing!

AfterElton.com: How do you feel about the way Christian and Olli’s story has been told?
JW:
I’m very happy that I’m part of this wonderful love story. When I first heard [about it], I never imagined that Ollian/Chrolli would be accepted by so many of our fans. I’m very proud of that. I have received so many wonderful letters and e-mails from fans that I’m now aware of this fictitious couple’s meaning for so many people from all around the world. It gives them courage, strength and hope and makes them believe in love (again). The fact that I and my colleagues can cause something so wonderful with our work, hey, that makes me damn happy!

AE: What was your favorite moment or scene from this past year?
JW:
There are many scenes that I liked – not only those that dealt with special problems, but also those that showed the couple’s everyday life: those moments in which the viewer can simply see that the two men are in love, without using too many words. One of my favorite scenes still is the one when Christian finally confesses his love to Olli. Director Nicole DeppĂ© drew attention to these three minutes in a very nice way.

Another highlight for me is the outing in the boxing ring and the following kiss in front of the cheering crowd; that was very exciting to shoot and resulted in a really good scene.


Speaking of Verboten Liebe, I think I've mentioned that I've also been following an earlier gay love story from the same show on YouTube, one that aired back at the end of 1999 and into 2000, between the characters of Tom & Ulli. In the latest chapter of the story that has been uploaded with English subtitles, Tom & Ulli made love for the first time and I have to say that I was incredibly impressed with how beautiful, romantic, and downright sexy the scenes were! This was nine years ago, and yet here in America our soaps are still dithering about having Luke & Noah finally make love at all.

Someone should make the As the World Turns writers sit down, watch Tom & Ullie (or Christian and Olli) and take notes!

No comments: