Saturday, January 03, 2009

Comfort TV

I think I'm getting over my cold at last. I finally had a day off today, so I've been able to just lay in bed all day and recuperate.

I've also spent most of the day watching one of my Christmas gifts, Gilmore Girls on DVD. I've realized that it's totally one of those shows that are perfect for sick days or maybe even just rainy days at home under the covers. In fact, watching it is like wrapping yourself up in a warm, familiar blanket.

I didn't watch the show at all until it had been on for six and a half seasons and was nearly over. Then, thanks to Netflix, I started catching up and instantly fell for the Gilmores and the whole Stars Hollow gang.

Now the show feels like an old friend I've known for years, as if I grew up watching it. Which is funny, since when I look back at some of the shows that I watched when I actually was growing up, they don't seem warm and familiar at all. They either seem kind of silly or just hopelessly dated.

I know this makes me a total dork, but I think the bookish Rory Gilmore is the TV character that most reminds me of myself. Other than, you know, being female. Of course, there may be some wishful thinking there on my part, given that she's got Jared Padalecki and Milo Ventimiglia fighting over her.

There are a lot of shows that I really enjoy and can watch again and again- Queer as Folk, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Will & Grace, That 70's Show, and Roseanne spring to mind- but there aren't very many that I would count as comfort TV. Gilmore Girls is definitely at the top of the list.

No comments: