Friday, January 30, 2009

The Men of the Stage

I think I spend half my time wishing I lived in London or Paris, and the other half dreaming the (slightly more realistic) dream of living in New York city. There's just so much about New York that I'd love to experience: the stage, the nightlife, the museums; it's the epicenter of the cultural world on this side of the Atlantic.

Of course, the New York I usually fantasize about is alternately the Bohemian version to be found in Rent or a glittering literati world populated with the likes of Dorothy Parker and her Algonquin cohorts. I envision myself spending my days writing and my nights seeing everything on and off Broadway, going to gallery openings, nightclubs, and attending parties of the sort where Gore Vidal and Norman Mailer are having a fistfight in one room while Truman Capote holds court in another.

I won't even begin to describe my impossible fantasies of life in London or Paris!

But, in spite of the fact that I know life in New York would never be close to what I've always imagined from afar, I still plan to experience it one of these days. Even the title of my blog is a wistful nod in the direction of a possible future.

All of which is an elaborate build up on my part to say the following: AfterElton has given me 37 more reasons to want to live in NYC, with their list of the 37 Hottest Guys in Theatre.

They limited their list to guys who have been active in the last few years and have had one or two major roles in that time. Now, I'm obviously biased, but I would have included Van Hansis on the list, given his roles in Die Mommie Die and Dance Dance Revolution. Granted, he's still mostly a TV actor at the moment, but he's clearly devoted to the stage nonetheless.

Still, in spite of the lack of Van, it's a great list full of some truly hot men. There are also three guys on the list with a connection to Van, and strangely enough they all have the same first name!

The first two are Matt Cavenaugh & Matthew Morrison, who have both been on As the World Turns in the last couple of years with Van, each playing the same role: the troubled Adam Hughes.

Matthew had the role first, and was only there for a month before he departed abruptly, but he instantly made a fan of me. He was so intense in the role and he had the most beautiful eyes! I was eagerly anticipating the standard soap opera hunk shirtless scene before he left, but alas we never got one! Below is a picture of Matthew with Van. (Don't ask me what's up with Van's hair, I'm not sure if he was caught in a rainstorm or if he was just trying out the wet look that day! Either way, you know what? Still hot!)

Matt Cavenaugh took over the role immediately after Matthew's departure and had a shirtless scene right away, of course, which made me think that if Matthew had just held on for another day or two...! Still, Matt well deserves his place on AfterElton's list, as you can see below in a few screen caps from his time on ATWT.

Matt's version of Adam was very different and hard to adjust to after Matthew's brief run. I liked Matt, and he's certainly a hottie, but his manner of speaking made me feel like I was watching a 1940's movie star doing a soap. If he'd played the role first, I probably wouldn't have been bothered by this, but it was just such an abrupt switch from Matthew's Adam.

Of course, it also didn't help that the show had no idea what they were doing with his character and turned him into a would be rapist for no logical reason before having him skip town.

It's worth noting, by the way, that Matt previously played Mark Solomon, a gay character, on One Life to Live. He was the lover of the closeted, married character who was murdering people to keep his sexual orientation a secret.

Anyway, Matt has most recently had Broadway roles in Grey Gardens and A Catered Affair and will be returning to Broadway this spring as Tony in West Side Story.

The third person on the list with a connection to Van is his friend and former classmate Matthew Risch, with whom he attended the recent opening of Hedda Gabler, and who is currently starring in Pal Joey.

Anyway, check out the full list because there are so many hot guys on the stage these days!

No comments: