Thursday, July 23, 2009

Y&R: Outed

Today was a pretty big day in the Adam & Rafe storyline on The Young and the Restless. Adam had successfully found a way to shift the blame for his crimes against Ashley on to a crazy woman instead of Rafe's Aunt Estella and he felt like celebrating with Heather, in a very heterosexual way.

While Adam and Heather were upstairs, Nikki showed up and told Victor that she had something to tell him about Adam. Instead of beating around the bush, Nikki just blurted out the 'truth': Adam is gay. Nikki elaborated, telling Victor that she'd seen him with Rafe, and Victor asked if she could have misconstrued what she saw.

Nikki replied that she knew what a kiss looked like. Imagine what she could have said if she'd walked in ten minutes later!

Meanwhile, Adam and Heather had finished up and, after some pillow talk about the future Adam sees for the two of them, she had to get back to work. She ran into Rafe in the hallway on her way out and they had another tense conversation.

Rafe clearly has a reason to feel uptight when he runs into Heather in or near Adam's bedroom, but why does Heather act the same way? She's given no indication at all that she suspects anything is going on between Adam and Rafe, so maybe she's just responding to the 'back off my man' vibe Rafe is sending out? I'm not sure.

Rafe had a pretty good idea what had just happened when he walked in and found Adam shirtless on the rumpled bed and when Adam told him they needed to talk, Rafe knew it wasn't going to be good news.

Adam, having eliminated the danger that Rafe would continue snooping to clear his Aunt Estella if he didn't keep him pacified with all the hot sex, told Rafe that they couldn't be more than friends any longer.

Rafe: You're breaking up with me?

Adam: I was confused. I'm sorry if I lead you on.

Rafe: You're just- you're not comfortable with your sexuality! Believe me, this sort of thing takes time.

Adam: Listen, I realized I'm not gay Rafe.

Rafe: You're in denial and you think it's safer to hide in the closet.

Adam: I know my feelings, Rafe, and I am attracted to women.

Rafe: You've been playing me.

Adam: I mistook gratitude for attraction.

Rafe: Gratitude?

Adam: I was scared. I'm going blind. I'm trapped in this house like it's a prison.

Rafe: You used me!

Adam: I never meant to hurt you, Rafe, I swear that.

Rafe (sarcastically): Thanks a lot, that really helps. Thank you.

Adam: I will always care about you Rafe, just not in that way.

Rafe: God, I am such an idiot. You know, I knew not to get involved with you. I am so stupid!


I felt bad for Rafe, but I was glad that he quickly realized that Adam had just been using him all along. It's not like he didn't already have his suspicions about that, after all.

Meanwhile, Nikki ran into Heather at the local coffee shop and started to warn her about Adam, too, but Heather told her to back off before Nikki was actually able to out Adam to yet another person. After Nikki left, Heather spotted Rafe across the room and complained to him about Nikki's warning about 'evil Adam'. Rafe told her that Nikki was right, Adam is bad news, but Heather just told him to go to hell.

Adam thought he was free and clear at last, but Victor had seen Rafe leaving Adam's bedroom. Victor went in to talk to his son and said that it was over- he knew what he'd been hiding. Given that Adam is hiding multiple things, he played it cool and asked just what Victor thought he knew.

I doubt Adam expected to hear his father say that he knew he was gay, though! Adam tried to play it off, asking what would give Victor that idea, but when Victor told him that Nikki had seen him with Rafe, Adam started to stammer.

Victor cut him off, telling him he could stop pretending:

Victor: It's all right. I don't want you to worry about anything. You're my son no matter what, okay? You'll always be my son.

Wow! First off, what a shock that Victor would turn out to be a supportive father after all. It really doesn't fit what we (and the rest of his family) know about him. Is Victor pretending to be supportive for reasons of his own? Or is it genuine?

More importantly, Adam won't be able to admit that he was only pretending to be gay, not without exposing his other secrets. So, what now? Does he try and get back together with Rafe to cover up his earlier lies? How soon until Heather finds out that her man has cheated on her with another man?

I have to admit, I'm really enjoying this story. I wasn't completely sure I would, since Adam isn't actually gay, but it has turned out to be very watchable.

No comments: