Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Brief Y&R Scenes and a Forbes March Interview

There wasn't a lot of development in either of the gay stories on The Young and the Restless today, but there was one important turn of events: Nikki Newman outed Adam to his half brother Nick.

You'll recall that Nikki saw Adam and his lawyer Rafe kissing and wasted no time in telling her daughter Victoria all about it. She almost told her ex husband Victor (Adam's father, who'd presumably be less than supportive), but they were interrupted and in the time since she's been going back and forth on whether or not to spill the beans.

Today, though, Nikki and her son Nick were talking and Nick mentioned that he'd seen Adam carrying women's clothes the other day (they were part of his attempt to gaslight Ashley). Nikki asked if they were his girlfriend Heather's and Nick said that Adam had told him that they were Ashley's dry cleaning and he was just taking them out to her car for her. Nick found the whole thing odd, though, and joked to his Mom that maybe they were Adam's clothes.

Nikki said that she couldn't say what his fashion tastes were, but she did catch Adam in a very compromising position with his lawyer. Nick asked if she meant Heather and Nikki said no, Heather was his girlfriend. His lawyer is his boyfriend.

Nick's mouth dropped open and he asked if she was serious. When she said she was, Nick immediately said he thought Victor should know. In fact, he even volunteered to tell his dad the news himself, saying that he had a feeling that a boyfriend wasn't all that Adam was hiding.

Nikki said she didn't want Nick to say anything, but with more and more people finding out, it shouldn't be long before Adam's secret is completely out.

On another note, AfterElton's weekly Gays of Our Lives column had an interview this week with Forbes March about his role as Mason on As the World Turns:

FM: I didn't realize how sensitive the whole gay issue is still in America. I was brought up very liberally. My parents were academics. I was brought up in a town full of liberal arts universities. I've been in entertainment my entire adult life. It just wasn't a big deal to me. I've always had friends who were gay.

When I was younger, I had friends coming out of the closet. One of the things I realized this morning when I was thinking about it on my porch, thinking about one of my friends in high school when he came out of the closet, it wasn't a big deal to me. I was like, "Alright. We're still friends, right? Then let's move on." For him, it was a really big deal, and I didn't really pay that the credit of the weight that it was for him. I couldn't understand how complicated it was for him.


AE: Knowing that, how does it help you play the character?

FM: It adds a dimension to it. That's why I was looking forward to playing this character, finding out what that is. What it is is it's almost like having a secret all the time. As an actor, you're always looking for your character's secret, and you're either telling the secret or keeping it. It shouldn't be that way. It's like, you have to keep all the disclaimers in or else you'll be a homophobe. It is that way. Either a man or a woman who is gay is out or they're in at any given moment. That's really interesting.

As a character, I'll pick moments to make a little inside joke to Noah. You know, we're both gay, we know this guy is and he doesn't know it, we can make an inside joke here. It adds a whole dimension. Do I touch him? Do I not touch him? How do I feel when he touches me? It's a totally different relationship. Are you in private; are you in public? There's a whole added dimension to it, which is a revelation to me.

Check out the whole thing. I found what Forbes had to say about his character's feelings for Noah and about upcoming scenes where the tension begins to build between Luke & Mason really interesting.

No comments: