Friday, July 03, 2009

Forbes March On His Latest Role

Over at Advocate.com, they're offering up a guide to daytime TV that is worth reading: Michael Fairman's Soapside column. In the latest issue, Fairman previews an upcoming interview with actor Forbes March. Forbes, formerly of All My Children and One Life to Live, will soon be playing a new gay character on As the World Turns.

Forbes mentions that people have been expressing concern as to how his real life wife is dealing with him playing a gay character, which is of course completely ridiculous and says a lot about the lingering attitudes towards playing gay roles.

He also talks about his take on his latest character's sexuality:

“The whole gay thing was not a big deal to me. I thought it would be a chance to play something interesting. A lot of my friends are gay. I did call them and asked, 'How would you like to see a gay person portrayed on TV'? I know it sort of sounds like a kind of a funny question. The consensus was, 'Please! Don’t do the campy affected thing.' I have some close friends who are gay and I owe them one.”

I can't wait to read the rest of the interview and, God help me, I'm even sort of looking forward to seeing what happens with this third gay character on ATWT. The show is insisting that there won't be anything romantic between this new character and Noah and/or Luke, but Forbes himself had this to say:

“Just because there is another gay character does not mean they are going to be bed-hopping. However, there are three points to a triangle. I assume there will be a triangle, because otherwise I am going to be looking for another job in six months.”

Let's hope something interesting does happen with the character. I've made it abundantly clear that I'm sick of Luke & Noah facing off with a new psycho every month and I'm still waiting for the first all male love triangle on daytime, though at this point One Life to Live or The Young and the Restless may get there first.

No comments: