Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Slow Week So Far; Kish Interview

So far, this has been a pretty quiet week in the world of LGBT soap characters. The only real action was on The Young and the Restless on Monday, when Philip decided it was time for him to get back to his life in Australia.

Nina tried to convince him to stay in Genoa City so their son Chance could have the opportunity to get to know him. Philip felt that Chance could look him up in Sydney when he was ready to find out more, but Nina warned that if he walked out of Chance's life again, that would be the end of it.

They discussed how well their son had turned out and Philip said he'd had very little to do with that, but Nina said that she often saw Philip in a look or a gesture of Chance's. After a bit of flirting with a waiter, Philip asked if Nina had told Chance he was gay yet and she told him not to worry about that, saying again that he'd be fine with it.

Later, Nina asked Chance to consider taking the opportunity to get to know his father, saying that she didn't necessarily expect him to form a life long bond, but that for all his faults Philip was warm, funny, and kind hearted. Chance said it sounded like Nina had forgiven Philip and she explained that she's trying not to judge him too harshly and she just hopes her son will do the same.

Shortly afterward, Chance called to ask Philip if they could get together the next day and Philip happily agreed and cancelled his plane reservation. Chance, meanwhile, told Chloe that he'd called Philip for his mom's sake: she was still in love with the guy.

That's been about it as far as onscreen action this week. Offscreen, One Life to Live's Brett Claywell (who plays Kyle) and Scott Evans (who plays Fish) gave an interview to Out.Com about Kish:

Brett, you’re from Greensboro, North Carolina, which isn’t necessarily the most gay-friendly of states. I know that’s a generalization but --
BC: It is a generalization but it’s absolutely the truth. Like I said before, when I began this storyline, I had to go through all the emotions of this story including calling my father to let him know who and what I was playing on One Life. So in reality, it was like I was coming out to my parents. There have been a lot of real emotions that have tied my reality and [the show’s locale] Llanview together.

Hopefully, your casting and talent will help change people’s perceptions down south.
BC: That’s the entire purpose of this storyline. When I spoke to our executive producer, Frank Valentini, about this character, I said my intent was to make Kyle the homosexual next door -- who doesn’t fit any stereotype, who just happens to have a different sexual preference.

It’s ironic that Scott, who is out in real life, is playing the character in the closet and Brett, who is straight in real life, is playing the out-and-proud gay character --
SE: I think it’s ironic but some of the dialogue and scenes I’m playing out have happened to real-life people I know, so it’s easy in a way. I’ve seen the struggle up close and personal.
BC: I think the fact that Scott is an out gay man makes the dynamic between us more effective because it’s almost like I’m putting myself in Scott’s shoes, so it allows us to understand each other better.

Check out the whole interview. Everything I read about Scott Evans makes me love the guy even more. It's ridiculous, by the way, that One Life to Live still has not signed him to a contract! Recurring was one thing when he was just the sweet, bumbling cop who didn't really have a story of his own, but now that he's one half of Kish, they'd be foolish not to show him the dotted line.

No comments: