Sunday, June 07, 2009

Thoughts on the Tonys

I just finished watching the Tony Awards and thought I'd share some quick thoughts before heading to bed.

I liked the opening number, a medley of several songs from various shows, and I completely loved Neil Patrick Harris' closing number! It was very funny and what was most impressive is that they had to have come up with all of the lyrics during the show itself.

Seriously, I think Neil must be the world's most perfect man. He's funny, he sings beautifully, he's incredibly talented as an actor, and he's so handsome. He was a great host and when it was all winding down I was only sorry he hadn't done a musical number- and then he did!

As for all the songs performed from the nominated shows, I have to say that I enjoyed the performance from Hair the most. Where has Gavin Creel been all my life?! Okay, I'd heard of him, I knew he was openly gay and I'd seen his picture and thought him attractive, but having finally seen him perform- wow. I think I love him!

I also have to reiterate my love for Anne Hathaway! I loved her reaction when Gavin Creel was dancing with/at her during the number. With her amazing performance in Rachel Getting Married, her song at the Oscars, and now this, I really just adore her.

The performances from Guys and Dolls, Rock of Ages, and Billy Elliot were all enjoyable. I didn't find myself particularly impressed by the West Side Story performance or the number from Shrek, though, I have to say.

Alice Ripley completely blew me away with her performance from Next to Normal. She was so amazing. I really would like to see to her live. I was very glad when she ended up winning her Tony tonight, as much as I love both Stockard Channing and Allison Janney and was sorry to see them lose.

I was disappointed that Jane Fonda's name wasn't called for Leading Actress in a play. The little clip they showed (I wish there had been time to see more from the nominated plays than just a few seconds!) of her onstage made me long to have seen the play. I caught her on Letterman a week or two ago, though, and she said there is a chance she may tour with 33 Variations at some point, so maybe I'll be able to see it then.

I was also really glad to see Angela Lansbury win her first Tony in 30 years and her fifth overall. She's pretty much amazing.

One thing that kept driving me crazy was that they'd show this really good looking guy sitting in the audience. He was sitting next to nominee Jennifer Damiano and was clearly her date for the night. I knew I'd seen him in something very recently and it was driving me mad trying to place him.

It finally hit me, though: Beefy Guy from Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist! I'd just watched that again last weekend, too. He's probably better known as actor Jonathan B. Wright, who was in Spring Awakening a few years ago. I would love to hear him sing.

All right, I have to be up early tomorrow, so I'm off to bed, hopefully to dream of Gavin or Neil Patrick, or, if I'm really lucky, both.

No comments: