Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Gay Character for the New Melrose Place

I wrote a few months back about how much I was anticipating the upcoming revival of the 90's prime time soap Melrose Place, mostly because of the return of Laura Leighton as Sydney Andrews and Thomas Calabro as Michael Mancini.

In the time since then, someone on a message board neglected to spoiler a major plot twist and I accidentally read something regarding the character of Sydney that has made me feel like I'd be enjoying the show less than I'd hoped. If you enjoy knowing plot twists in advance and you haven't heard about this one yet, you can read about it here. Me, I like to be surprised, but the Internet can make that very difficult at times.

I'll still be checking out the show, of course, and I haven't given up hope that it will prove to be as much fun as the original show was.

The new cast includes some attractive guys, including the adorable Michael Rady, whom I loved as Max on Greek, and now comes word that there will indeed be a gay character on the updated version of the show. EW's Michael Ausiello has revealed that the show is casting a character named Caleb, who will be "an extremely masculine gay publicist".

AfterElton has some tongue in cheek suggestions about who to cast in this oh so masculine role (and I am a bit put off that the show chose to emphasize the character as masculine, as if being gay automatically precludes that!), but mostly I'm just hoping that whoever gets the part will have more of a love life to play than poor Matt ever did as the token gay character in the original series.

No comments: