Monday, June 08, 2009

OLTL Adds Gay Storyline!

I'm practically jumping up and down with glee! I just read the news that my current favorite soap, One Life to Live, is adding a gay storyline. They've had some gay characters in the past, but none during the tenure of the current headwriter, Ron Carlivati, who has made the show the most enjoyable soap in daytime.

That's not to say that the show is perfect, of course (mention the name Stacey Morasco to any fan and they'll probably rant for an hour at least!), but it's leagues ahead of the other soaps on the air right now (with the possible exception of The Young and the Restless) and the only one I watch every single minute of with no fast forwarding.

I've been hoping for a gay story from the show for awhile now, though, and I highlighted one particular scene awhile back that made me feel that the show would do an excellent job with such a story. Finally, it looks like my wish is coming true. Best of all, they're using two characters already on the show, including one I've come to really love: Oliver Fish, played by openly gay actor Scott Evans!

The other character will be Kyle Lewis (played by Brett Claywell), who has been onscreen in a recurring part for the last three or four months as a shady lab tech. We found out awhile back that Fish and Kyle were old frat brothers and their initial meeting after not having seen each other since college was a bit tense, as if there was something from their past they both wanted to forget.

I wondered at the time if there hadn't been something between the two, sexually speaking, but I figured that was just my own overactive imagination. It seemed far more likely at that point that the tension was really just a way to set up Kyle as one of the suspects in the KAD serial killings.

According to Nelson Branco, though, we're soon going to find out that Fish & Kyle did indeed hook up in college and that they're going to be rekindling their relationship! Fish has been interested in a few women in the last several months and even shared a night of passion with the dreaded Stacey Morasco, so his character may be that daytime rarity: a bisexual! Perhaps he's just deeply in denial about being gay, though. Time will tell! As for Kyle, he's had no onscreen romantic life thus far.

I'm so excited about this, especially since I really have come to like Fish so much as a character and Scott Evans as an actor. I was so happy last week when he moved in with two other characters, Christian and Layla, because it seemed to signal that he'd be getting more screen time himself.

This, though, is beyond my own hopes for the character! I think OLTL, as written by Ron Carlivati, will do one of, if not the, best written gay stories ever seen on daytime TV. You have no idea how many times I've wished that Carlivati was writing Luke & Noah's stories on As the World Turns!

This will also mean that four of the eight soaps currently on the air will have LGBT characters at the moment! That's a milestone in and of itself.





Here is the couple to be, with Fish on the left and Kyle below.














I can't wait for this story to begin! The best part is that I'll be able to write about OLTL on a regular basis! Usually, I'm only writing about a soap that drives me crazy (ATWT), so it will make for a very nice change!

2 comments:

Joseph said...

I'm excited about this, too. I gave up on ATWT due to the atrocious writing and recently started watching The Young & the Restless due to the introduction of gay lawyer Rafe Torres (Yani Gellman); I've never watched OLTL but have heard it's a terrific show, so this gives me more reason to check it out!

Seth said...

It really has been the best soap on the air for the past year or two, at least in my opinion. I've enjoyed it so much. I can't wait to see how this new story plays out!