Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More Broadway Bares & a Scott Evans Interview

Just a couple of things I wanted to highlight tonight. First, in relation to what I wrote last night about Broadway Bares, you should check out author Matthew Rettenmund's review of the show from his blog, Boy Culture, including pictures and some great video clips!

By the way, one of the very first gay themed novels I ever read was Matthew Rettenmund's book Blind Items. I stumbled across it at the library and checked it out on the sly, hiding it from my family so they wouldn't know I was reading it and realize that I was gay! It all seems so amusing now, looking back on it, but at the time just checking the book out felt like such a huge deal!

The other thing I wanted to note was Scott Evans' interview with The Advocate. I love this guy more and more! Here's a bit of what he had to say, but be sure and check out the whole thing:

What do you think gay soap fans can expect from this couple?
I think the journey for them is going to be what people should watch for. More than anything being so specific that it is only a gay story line… it’s a love story line, and a story about their journeys and dealing with it, and how they react with each other.

Has Fish always had feelings for Kyle?
It’s like with your “first” of anything. This was sort of a first time in college and there were feelings then, and they are there now. It’s a matter of how you deal with them.

Has Kyle been hiding his sexuality?
I don’t think it was ever revealed.

Do you consider yourself an "openly gay" actor?
I do.

Any mixed emotions about letting people in the industry know you are gay?
It was something I thought about. Maybe I should have thought about it more, but it was like I wanted to put myself first before my career. I did not want to go through life having to deal with extra issues when I am dealing with trying to get a job. So I went, “OK, this is me. Either you like or you don’t. Hopefully you can accept it, and if you can’t, bummer. If you can hire me, great.” It was that sort of thing.

By the way, there is now a message board for Fish/Kyle fans that calls itself Kishmet, so I guess Kish is winning out over Fyle as the couple's requisite fan nickname. This is why I never bet on anything, I inevitably back the loser!

I know that today was a Nuke day on As the World Turns (and may well have been a Kish day or a Rafe/Adam day on Y&R), but I haven't had a chance to catch any of today's soaps yet. Hopefully I'll have a chance to catch up tomorrow.

No comments: