Tuesday, June 09, 2009

A March on Washington

I've been meaning to post this for a few days but I haven't managed to do so before now. Human Rights Activist Cleve Jones has called for a march on Washington for National Coming Out Day (October 11th) this year, saying "We seek nothing more and nothing less than equal protection in all matters governed by civil law in all 50 states."

After reading about Cleve in both The Mayor of Castro Street and And The Band Played On by Randy Shilts, seeing the portrayal of him by Emile Hirsch in the film Milk, and exploring his own website, I almost feel like he's an old friend. He's certainly done so much for the gay community, first at Harvey Milk's side and then on his own, including starting the NAMES Project Aids Memorial Quilt.

He continues to be an inspiring leader and last weekend at the Utah Pride Festival he called for a national march and had this to say about Mormon Church's involvement in passing Prop 8 in California:

"I've got a message for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," Jones shouted. "I've got two words from California ... I've got two words for the prophet ... Thank you. Thank you for uniting us. Thank you for galvanizing us."

I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend the march or not, but I'm certainly going to try! It would be amazing to be a part of something like that on such a national scale.

No comments: