Sunday, December 28, 2008

Yes, More Lists

Yes, I'm giving you even more Best Of lists for 2008. I think the days between Christmas and New Year's Day should generally be a period for relaxing and reflecting.

James Wood of the New Yorker offers his Ten Favorite Books of the year, while Anthony Lane does Ten Best Films, with David Denby also offering his own film choices. I've read none of Wood's picks and seen none of the films that Lane mentions. I wonder if I should take this as a sign that I'm completely out of it, culturally speaking? Luckily, I have seen one of Denby's films, the excellent Rachel Getting Married. I also desperately want to see one of his other picks, Milk, but it's still not playing near me!

The fun continues with Sasha Frere-Jones' list of the Best Recordings of the year, Hilton Als' Best Stage and Screen Performances, and John Lahr with the Best Plays.

Now that I'm exhausting the supply other people's lists, I'll be doing some of my own in the next couple of days.

No comments: