Saturday, December 20, 2008

Kristin's New Role

Well, it's being reported that Kristin Chenoweth has already landed a starring role in a new series. You know I adore Kristin completely and will totally be watching. I'm happy for her, but I'm also sad for two reasons.

First, this is totally the nail in the coffin for Pushing Daisies. Yes, it was already canceled, but there was always the hope, however slight, that some other network would pick it up. Now, with Bryan Fuller back at Heroes and Kristin getting a new show, I have to accept that Daisies is really over.

The other reason I'm sad is that the show Kristin has landed is a new legal drama by David E. Kelley. It's called Legally Mad and is set at a law firm in Chicago. Does this sound familiar? How about this description of Kristin's character: "a cheerful and brilliant attorney who nonetheless exhibits flashes of psychosis — and enjoys being mistaken for a teenager."

Does this not sound like Ally McBeal redux? Okay, Ally wasn't usually cheerful, but flashes of psychosis? I have to admit that, once upon a time, I was a major McBeal fan. In its first few seasons, I thought it was incredible. But then it became all about pratfalls and silliness. It became less a fun show with quirks than a show built on nothing but quirks.

I just worry that the same thing will happen with Kristin's new show. I think Kelley does legal dramas far better than he does legal comedies, and even though this is described as a drama in the article, it sounds more along McBeal lines to me.

The real kicker, of course, is that her character's name is going to be Skippy Pylon!

I'll be watching for Kristin and one thing I'm sure of is that she will spin whatever gold she can out of the material and make it fun to watch.

No comments: