Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Kennedy Supports Marriage Equality, Ignores Warren Issue

Luke & Noah will be on As the World Turns today, but with my work schedule for the day and my holiday plans, I won't actually be writing about the episode until the day after Christmas.

I just wanted to note a few things today. First, Caroline Kennedy gave (very brief) answers to some questions about her political positions that were submitted by Politico. This one, in particular, caught my attention:

QUESTION 2: Same-sex marriage. Do you support the right of gay and lesbian couples to marry? Do you think it's appropriate that Rick Warren, who campaigned to ban gay marriage, is delivering the invocation at Obama's inauguration? If not, have you expressed that to the president-elect?

ANSWER: "Caroline supports full equality and marriage rights for gay and lesbian couples."

I'm thrilled that Carline supports full marriage rights, not just the half-measure of civil unions that so many Democrats (including the next President) are in support of. I'm not surprised that she failed to address the Rick Warren question, but I am pretty disappointed.

Speaking of Rick Warren, AfterElton has a post on Rachel Maddow's skewering of Warren and his role in the Inauguration that is worth reading. They also include the actual video which is really a must see.

Well, I won't be writing for the next few days because of my holiday plans, but I'll be back on the 26th. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

No comments: