Monday, December 15, 2008

A Great Read

What I love best about being a lover of books is when you come across something that just completely sweeps you up, a story in which you lose yourself entirely. This is a rarer experience that you'd expect. Most of the time, even when I really enjoy a book, it's not quite on that level. I'd say it probably only happens with two or three books a year.

I had that experience today. There I was at work, shelving in a brief respite between helping customers, when this book on a display table caught my eye. I had the vague sense that I'd seen it several times without really noticing it, had probably even shelved it without giving it a second glance, so I'm not sure why exactly it caught my eye just then.

The title was the first thing that grabbed me- The Uncommon Reader. My first thought was that it was a new release of Virginia Woolf's The Common Reader, until I looked closer. Then I noticed that it was by the playwright Alan Bennett, the man who, among many other plays, wrote The History Boys, a favorite of mine.

Once I picked it up and read the description, I knew that I had to read it. Basically, Queen Elizabeth II ends up following her barking corgis to a mobile library truck that makes a stop near the kitchen entrance at Windsor Castle once a week for the staff. Simply to be polite, Her Majesty checks out a book.

From that point on, the Queen, who has never been a pleasure reader, becomes a true book addict, devouring books non-stop until it begins to change her life and upsets everyone from her palace servants to the Prime Minister.

It's a novella, only 120 pages long, and I devoured it tonight after work. I laughed out loud several times and completely loved this story. Bennett infuses it with so much humor and with a love of books that I could easily relate to. I only wish it had been a full length novel since I was nowhere near ready for it to end when it did!

I don't want to give too much away, especially since it's not a very long book, but I'd recommend it for any other book addicts out there and for anyone who likes to laugh, especially at the absurdities of protocol and public officials.

No comments: