Sunday, December 07, 2008

Music Talk

Can I just say how much I love Kristin Chenoweth? I know that I've said it before. I know that I'll say it again. But I just completely adore her.

I watched last Wednesday's episode of Pushing Daisies last night and it had this fantastic scene where her character, Olive Snook, sings Eternal Flame. One of my favorite moments in season one was a similar scene in which the lovesick Olive sang Hopelessly Devoted to You and I'd been hoping that they'd have Kristin sing again before the show ended. I totally wasn't expecting it when it happened, though, so it was a great surprise.

I bought Kristin's holiday CD, A Lovely Way to Spend Christmas, today and- no shock here- I really like it. I have her two earlier CDs already and I listen to them all the time, especially Let Yourself Go, which has some really fun songs on it. I'm kind of sad that I'm only going to be able to listen to this new CD for one month every year!

I'm going to have to buy the Wicked and You're A Good Man Charlie Brown Broadway cast recordings next, I guess. I really hope some smart TV Exec snaps Chenoweth up for a new show soon now that Pushing Daisies is going off the air.

All right, so to sum up, I basically worship Kristin Chenoweth. I'm probably even going to see Four Christmases just because she's in the cast. I haven't had a non-sexual crush like this since I loved Sarah Michelle Gellar back during her Buffy heyday, but that ended after I saw one too many interviews with her and discovered that it was actually Buffy I liked, not Sarah!

Speaking of music, I've been meaning to mention that I think one of the best CDs that was released this year was Jay Brannan's album Goddamed. I first discovered Jay's music on YouTube (although I'd seen him before that in the movie Shortbus, I didn't actually realize that he was the same guy at first) and was really impressed, especially with the song Housewife. If you aren't familiar with his music, you should check out his videos on YouTube where you can find him singing most of the songs from the CD.

I had a chance to go see him in concert a few months back, but of course I had to work and couldn't find anyone to cover my shift, so I missed out, which is the way things usually go with me! I'm hoping he'll come back this way someday.

No comments: