Wednesday, April 08, 2009

More Lambert Love

I didn't get a chance to write about it yesterday, but Adam Lambert was beyond amazing last night on American Idol. The theme was songs from the year the contestants were born, which for Adam was 1982. He chose to sing the Tears for Fears song Mad World, but he did the Gary Jules version which is probably most familiar to fans of the movie Donnie Darko.

If you've been following my blog at all, you know that I completely love Adam and have been very impressed with everything he's done so far on the show. I can say without hesitation, though, that his performance of Mad World is my favorite of all his performances. I've bought all of the studio versions of his songs from the show on iTunes, but Mad World has been on repeat for the past half an hour and I think I could listen to it all night.

Adam's voice is just so beautiful on this song. I love his voice all the time, of course, but on this song it nearly moves me to tears. I also think the lyrics of the song speak volumes to anyone who ever felt like they were an outsider or that they had to hide who they were.

The performance itself was inspired, too. Adam, dressed in white with a gray jacket & scarf, was seated on a chair, lit only by a blue neon light. This more subdued style matched the song so perfectly.

It was a brilliant song choice. Adam's performance actually lead to Simon Cowell getting on his feet and giving Adam a standing ovation, which I think is unprecedented.

Not surprisingly, Adam easily made it into the Top 7 tonight. You know, when the show ends or Adam is voted off, whichever comes first, I don't know how I'm going to adjust to not getting my weekly Adam Lambert fix!

Along with the whole 'songs from the year they were born' theme came a little intro to each performance that featured baby pictures and stories about the contestants as kids. I have to say, Adam's parents seem incredibly awesome. Adam's mom was saying how he loved books and music when he was a kid and his dad smiled and added "Sports, not so much."

Adam himself explained that he was into playing dress up, not soccer, and that he always wanted to be a performer. I love that Adam has clearly always been himself and never felt the need to go through life pretending to be something he's not, even to be on a show like American Idol.

I can't wait to see what Adam does next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

EVERYTHING YOU SAID.. EVERYTHING!!

I AGREE!!!! TOTALLY!!

ADAM LAMBERT IS AWESOME!

He is the Most Diversely Talented Artist Ever to be Gracing the American Idol Stage.. And That's Exactly What he Does!! He Graces the stage with his superior Stage Presence, Talent, Beautiful voice ( That Range!) ...Heavenly Energy! Generosity of Heart; His humble and sweet response when he is.. Once More given the opportunity to be on American Idol another week; His Professionalism and Unique Style; His making each and every performance his own.. giving them his "Adam - Style!"

I am NOT understanding why his votes on TV.COM are as low as they are. Allison's number is higher. I like Allison and feel she is very talented, second to Adam. With all due respect to Allison, I feel that Adam is the most talented of all the contestants. He possesses a "COMPLETE PACKAGE," which None of the other contestants have.
So.. all you Adam fans, please "CLICK" CLICK CLICK.. VOTE VOTE VOTE for Adam Lambert here at TV.COM and.. Most of All immediately after each of his performances. Let's help him win. Although, I believe that he ALREADY has WON!!

Seth said...

I confess I've never voted for Adam at TV.Com myself, although I always vote like crazy on the phone after each performance.

I'll make sure to vote for him at TV.com as well.

I like Allison, too. I hope the final three is Adam, Allison, and Kris, in that order.

Anonymous said...

I think you hit the nail on the head!! I too will miss my weekly Adam fix. Each week I look forward to seeing what new song he'll perorm. Each time he comes out with something spectacular. He has such control over his vocals and can sing anything. He truly has everything it takes to be one of the biggest stars today. I could listen to his music over and over. This is just the beginning for Adam. He will be successful no matter what happens in the show. I can't wait to buy his first album. I know it'll be great!!