Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Born to be Adam

I just wanted to do a quick post about Adam on this week's American Idol since I haven't done so yet. The theme of the week was Songs from Movies, which lead to the most boring week since I started watching the show. It was a very uninspired hour, but there was one standout performance and of course it was from Adam Lambert.

He chose the song Born to Be Wild from the movie Easy Rider. After slowing things down last week and doing his haunting version of Mad World (I'm still listening to it time and time again a week later and it still gives me chills), Adam was back in rocker mode and he just completely killed with the song.

Simon praised Adam's vocals (how could he not?), but noted that the whole thing was a bit too Rocky Horror Picture Show for him. Adam seemed flattered that Simon would make that comparison. I'm not surprised, since Adam said in his confessional video this week that he'd like to try and fill the void left by David Bowie and Freddy Mercury by bringing a theatrical side back to rock music.

He's already a rock star. I don't think, at this point, that Adam really needs Idol. I think Idol needs Adam.

Next week is disco week, which makes me a bit queasy in advance because the potential for disaster is so great for most of these people, but I have a feeling that Adam will once again blow us away. I can't wait to see what he does.

No comments: