Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Adam Does it Again

I just finished watching tonight's American Idol. I was really kind of dreading disco night since I thought that everyone but Adam would really end up struggling and the potential was high for a lot of painful performances. As it turned out, I thought it was a lot better than last week's theme of songs from the movies. There were still a couple awful performances, but most of them surprised me.

I think everyone was expecting Adam to really go all out and go into full on disco mode. I secretly hoped that he'd do Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive or Alicia Bridge's I Love the Nightlife. I'd love to hear what he could do with either of those songs. Of course, Adam had already done disco a few weeks back with Play That Funky Music.

As soon as I saw him come out in a suit at the start of the show, I knew he'd be doing something slower paced and I couldn't wait to see what it would be. I should also add that the man looks incredible in a suit.

As it turned out, Adam did his own heart wrenching version of If I Can't Have You from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. I don't think, for me, it quite reached Mad World status, but it came pretty damn close and was easily my second favorite Adam Lambert performance of the season.

It's funny, the weeks when he goes full on rock star on the stage, I think he's at his best, and then the weeks when he just very simply and beautifully sings a song like this, I think he's better than ever. I guess he's just amazing no matter what style he's performing in. The judges all seem to agree.

I also really liked what Kris Allen did tonight, turning She Works Hard for the Money into a singer songwriter ballad that fit his voice perfectly. I like that guy more and more each week, I think. I thought from the beginning that he was completely adorable and had a decent voice, but ever since he did Ain't No Sunshine a few weeks back, I've started to think that maybe he is someone whose album I'd buy.

Two people will be voted off tomorrow night, since the judges used their save last week. I don't think Adam is in the slightest danger of being one of the two, but I'm still voting like crazy just in case.

No comments: