Sunday, April 12, 2009

Diablo Talks Lambert

Oscar winning Screenwriter Diablo Cody (Juno) wrote a piece for Entertainment Weekly about her love of American Idol and I thought I'd share what she had to say about Adam Lambert since, as you all know by now, I totally love the guy.

While Adam wasn't Diablo's favorite Idol of the season (that was apparently Alex Wagner-Trugman, who didn't make it out of the semi-finals), she clearly thinks he's the most deserving to win:

"Of course, every season has its Good One as well. This year, both the judges and the fans are smitten with Adam Lambert, a soft-spoken freckled kid disguised as a shrieking goth balladeer. The praise heaped upon Adam is not unwarranted; the dude can totally sing. Also, he possesses that rare Clarksonesque combination of technical perfection and onstage humility. He might actually be that elusive white whale of Idol lore: the flameproof contestant. Even those ''shocking'' photos that surfaced of Adam sucking face with a male friend haven't derailed the Lambert love train. Could someone deserving actually win this show? Think about it, America. Yes, we can!"

I love it when people I admire praise Adam. Lately, I've been admiring Diablo Cody even more than I did after first seeing Juno, because she created a little show called The United States of Tara. I thought the first season was fantastic. Toni Collette is beyond talented, of course, and I can't imagine anyone else even attempting to play Tara and her varied alters. The show could have been a mess in the hands of another actress, but Collette makes it all work.

There isn't a character on the show that I don't like, but Tara's gay teen son Marshall, played by a really talented young actor named Keir Gilchrist, is definitely a stand out. Gilchrist brings a lot to the role which, along with the writing, makes Marshall the most fully fleshed out, interesting gay teen on television and maybe even the most interesting gay character, period.

So, I bascially tink Diablo walks on water at the moment and I love that she likes Adam in her own sarcastic way.

No comments: