Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ring of Fire

I just finished watching tonight's American Idol, the theme of which, as I mentioned the other day, was country music. I couldn't quite picture any of these contestants doing opry music, of course, but I had the most difficulty with imagining what Adam Lambert would do. Out of all the contestants, he's the farthest away from country music as you can get.

As it turned out, he picked the classic Johnny Cash song Ring of Fire, but he sang it in a way that was pure Adam Lambert. He found an arrangement with sitar music and a Middle Eastern theme and he sang it in a very sensual way with a couple of dramatic flourishes.

It wasn't my favorite Adam Lambert performance so far, but I really liked it a lot. Of course, the theme was Grand Ole Opry music, which was never going to be his strongest week in the competition as far as song selection is concerned. I loved that he just completely made it his own and remained hot while doing so, though. I don't think anyone can make love to a camera with his eyes like Adam can! Plus, his voice is truly amazing, no matter what he sings.

Unlike last week, the judges' reviews were mixed. Randy flat out loved it and Paula & Kara both gave it somewhat favorable comments (Kara said it left her "Confused but kind of happy"), while Simon hated it and said it was 'self indulgent rubbish'.

I'm voting for Adam as I write this and I hope plenty of other people are, too. There were some pretty bland and boring performances tonight, and Adam was certainly neither of those things.

As much as I'm all for Adam winning this thing and wouldn't dream of voting for anyone else, I do have to say that I'm also kind of blown away by Allison Iraheta each week. She's got such an amazing voice, especially for someone so young.

Back to Adam, I was sent a link to a red carpet interview he did with Access Hollywood after making it into the Top 13. It really highlights why I love him so much (aside from the fact that he's an amazing singer and performer, of course!).

The interviewer, Laura Saltman, asks him if he's googled himself that week, the week that the pictures of him kissing another guy were showing up all over the Internet.

Adam: I did. When my parents and family and friends told me to, I did.

Laura: Oh, no. But they, you know, they're like, whatever, this is Adam.

Adam: You know what, I have nothing to hide, I am who I am, and this is about singing. Nothing else.

Laura: Exactly.

Adam: I'm an entertainer. It doesn't change anything.

Laura: But you kind of, like, have to know that kind of stuff is going to get out there, right?

Adam: Yeah, I've never been shy about anything. (laughs)


How can you not love the guy? Vote Adam! Vote often!

No comments: