Sunday, March 08, 2009

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

I just finished watching the film Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and I really enjoyed it a lot. I wasn't sure if it would be any good or not, but I knew that the Young Adult novel it was based on was very gay inclusive and the previews I'd seen looked pretty good.

Other than a tiny bit of bathroom humor (quite literally), I thought it was pretty much a perfect film of its type. I just kind of wanted to wrap myself up in it and live it for awhile.

It was definitely gay inclusive, with three of the main characters being gay, and there were a few really sweet scenes between the gay couple in the film and one fantastic scene between one of the gay characters and his straight friend that I think is destined to be a classic scene.

Michael Cera & Kat Dennings were perfect as the title characters and there wasn't a single person miscast. Ari Graynor was especially great and quite the scene stealer as Caroline. I think I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone play drunk as well, certainly not in a comedic performance.

Also, where have Jonathan B. Wright & Rafi Gavron been hiding?! They were so perfect together as 'Beefy Guy' and Dev, I totally had a crush on them as a couple. Wright looks like a blond Josh Hartnett, too, which gives him high marks in my book.

The only thing the movie was lacking was a kiss between the guys, though they did have some nice romantic moments. I watched some of the commentary and heard that Dev did have a kiss with a guy in the crowd during the concert at the beginning, but it didn't make it into the film.

What I really loved about the movie, though, was that the gay characters were just people. They weren't stereotypes or there to serve a specific purpose or deliver a message, and there wasn't even a huge deal made about their sexuality, they were just characters who happened to be gay. I think one of my favorite things was when 'Beefy Guy' fixes Nick's car, clearly being at home under the hood. That's not an image that most people have of gay guys and not one you really see in films. Even better, it was a gay character who defended the group's honor at the end against the obnoxious (straight) jerk.

We really need more movies like this one which depict LGBT people so casually, as people first instead of walking, talking, sexual orientations.

If you haven't seen the movie, you should rent it. I was feeling pretty down before I watched it and it totally lifted my spirits. I'm going to have to buy a copy for myself, since I know I'll want to watch it again & again.

No comments: