Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Idol Talk


Not surprisingly, Adam Lambert made it into the Top 11 tonight on American Idol. I honestly wasn't too worried, given his amazing performance and a few pretty bad performances by some of his fellow competitors.

I love that he chose a song about equality and that he sang it so well. I think it's quite possible he was sending a personal message with the choice, and I'm hardly the only one who has mentioned this in the online world today.

AfterElton had a post about Adam's performance and Brian Juergens raised an important point:

"It's interesting that as we get to know the contestants better as the pool is whittled down, we learn nothing about Lambert other than that he lives in LA and has supportive parents. We asked the show directly if Lambert is openly gay and were told that the show doesn't comment on the sexuality of its contestants. Funny, because most of the other competitors have mentioned their spouses, children, significant others, etc. in their bio videos.

Is Lambert being given that opportunity, or is the decision being made for him? At this point, seeing as how he's a likely bet for the finals, we may never know. "

Honestly, I tend to fast forward through all of those personal videos except for Adam's, but even in high speed I noticed the abundance of everyone else's personal life in their videos and the lack of it in Adam's.

I'm hoping that before the competition is over, Adam will be able to show off his boyfriend (assuming he's seeing someone), maybe in one of those videos or perhaps sitting in the crowd and identified onscreen, like other contestant's partners and family are.

Will this happen? It doesn't seem likely, but then again, there is a first time for everything and the farther Adam goes in this competition the more barriers he can break down.

The big twist they mentioned is that the judges now have the chance to overrule the vote and save someone from elimination, but they can only do so once all season and it has to be unanimous among the four of them.

As I said yesterday, I'm new to the show so no change is very shocking to me. I honestly think it might work better altogether if they changed the whole system and after America voted each week the judges had to pick who to eliminate out of the bottom two each week, at least until it was down to the top 5 and then America could have final say for the remaining weeks.

I can't believe I actually put thought into how American Idol should work! I said yesterday that I'd gone over to the dark side completely and didn't even care, but the truth of the matter is that I haven't actually told anyone I know that I'm watching the show. I'm a total closet Idol watcher.

On another subject, Milk arrived in the mail today from Netflix, so I'll finally get to see the film! I'll write about that tomorrow. I'll also be writing about As The World Turns, since it's a Luke & Noah day, the first post-murder mystery crapfest Nuke day, in fact! I saw in the preview at the end of today's show that Brian will be back tomorrow, too, which I think is great. I know it's only a brief return, but I can't wait to see what's been happening with him since he finally came out.

No comments: