Friday, March 13, 2009

Broadway On Lambert

I just came across this Broadway.com article on Adam Lambert, in which several of his former stage co-stars talk about the Adam they know. I just thought I'd share it because as you all know by now, I'm totally enthralled by all things Adam and feel that everyone else should be as well!

Megan Hilty, who was in Wicked with Adam and is currently on Broadway in the new musical 9 to 5 as Doralee, the Dolly Parton character, was one of Adam's co-stars who spoke about him:

How did you meet?
We met on tour with Wicked, and then worked together again in the L.A. company [of the show]. Since he was the Fiyero understudy we got to have our little moments together onstage, whenever I was lucky enough.

What did you think the first time you heard him sing?
The first time he went on as Fiyero, I couldn’t believe it. I was warned before how amazing he was, but you can only be prepared for so much. It’s funny because we’d go out and do karaoke for fun, and the whole party would stop when he got up to sing. It was kind of, like, ‘He’s too good, I can’t go after that!’ He’s a joy to be around, so they’re very lucky to be around him out there in Hollywood.

Favorite performance of his?
It was always during karaoke. There’s a DVD of it somewhere. Oh, God. It was some rock song I’ll never remember the name of, but the whole bar—people we didn’t even know—just stopped. No one could believe what they were hearing. His voice is in a different stratosphere.

Favorite memory?
Oh, gosh. We were always doing silly things. What I can say is he’s an excellent board game player, and we always wanted him on our team. He always won everything.

What kind of artist do you see him as?
One of the great things about Adam is I can’t say he’s the next so-and-so. He’s so unique, and has such a special talent that I think he’s going to be the next Adam Lambert.

What do you think when people say he is too “theatrical” for Idol?
I think saying someone’s too musical theater is b.s.! Frankly, that’s offensive. It’s the easy way out to try and find something wrong with him when there’s nothing wrong. It also gives a stigma about who “Broadway” people are. I mean, we’re not people that overly indicate and put on a show wherever we go. I’m tired of people putting the “Broadway label” on someone as if it were a bad thing.

Personal Song Request: He’s done so much rock stuff, I’d love him to show off any slow tunes in general. People think they’ve seen what he can do, but you haven’t seen anything yet. I think he’ll show it off. He’s a smart cookie!


Check out the whole article if you're interested in Adam at all, there is some really cool stuff about him.

Speaking of 9 to 5, by the way, this is another show I really wish I could see, not only because I love the film version and think Dolly Parton (who wrote the songs for the musical) is amazing, but because one of my favorite actresses, Allison Janney, is starring in it as Violet, the Lily Tomlin character.

I really need to just plan a trip to New York, but I don't think I'll be able to afford it any time soon!

By the way, I was reading online that next week is going to be Grand Ole Opry week on American Idol. I can't quite picture any of these 11 contestants singing country music, so that's going to be interesting, to say the least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY FOR ADAM LOVE. XD

Thanks for posting the interview. Love Hilty, too. ^^