Friday, March 20, 2009

I'll Miss You Most of All, Declan

I hadn't had time to watch the last few episodes of Kyle XY, which ended its three season run last Monday, until this afternoon. I knew that the unexpected cancellation would probably mean that the show wouldn't get to truly resolve anything. I was bracing myself for an ending that left me wanting more.

It turned out to be even more frustrating than I thought it would be, though. They ended on a cliffhanger that left so much unanswered. None of the characters got a proper send off and I was just left feeling really bitter towards ABC Family for doing this to such a great show. The least they could have done was given them either enough notice to end the show in a better way or a few more episodes to truly wrap things up.

That was the nice part about the extended break I took from television a few years back. I didn't get hooked on any shows that I really loved only to have them yanked off TV while a bunch of mediocre or downright awful shows enjoy extended runs. With Kyle XY & Pushing Daisies both cancelled so prematurely, I'm starting to wish I'd never got back into watching televison.

At any rate, if you were a fan of the show and would like some idea of what should have been, Julie Plec, a writer and co-producer of the show, took the time to give us some answers about what they were planning to do next on the show and how everyone would have ended up.

In case you were wondering, Kyle and Declan DO end up together! At least they do in a way. Plec says that though Declan and Lori would have ended up together romantically, Declan would have become the man in Kyle's life:

"...Declan will always have two priorities --- Lori and Kyle. For Battlestar Gallactica fans, he's Colonel Tighe to Admiral Odama. Declan would assume protection of Kyle from Foss and be his best friend and fiercest protector for life. Lori would be the only woman who could understand that, because she feels just as strongly about Kyle."

Aww. I knew Declan and Kyle were meant to be. Seriously, though, I loved their friendship on the show. I loved every relationship between the various characters on this show, though, except maybe for Kyle & Amanda's during the final season. This was just one of those shows where everything clicked and it truly was something special.

No comments: