Sunday, January 17, 2010

Very Random Thoughts on the Golden Globes

The 67th Annual Golden Globes aired tonight and I decided to jot down some thoughts while I watched the show. No doubt they'll be completely random.

First off, I love Ricky Gervais, I think he's incredibly funny. I've been a fan since I saw his series Extras, but I have to confess that I haven't yet watched his more famous show, The Office (or the American remake of it). Anyway, I thought his opening tonight was very funny.

Of course, part of the fun of the Golden Globes is scanning the crowd for the wide variety of celebrities from TV and movies. It always looks like such a fun night, as opposed to the Oscars where you know the fun doesn't start until the show is over.

I spotted David Burtka, partner to Neil Patrick Harris, right away while the camera was lingering on Keifer Sutherland. David is such a cutie!

Lea Michele's category, Best Actress in a Television Comedy, was one of the first presented and as much as I would have liked her to win for Glee, I do think Toni Collette is amazing in The United States of Tara and deserved a win. I still have issues with her show being considered a comedy, though. I think it's a drama with comedic elements.

I really wanted Neil Patrick Harris to win Best Supporting Actor. I think John Lithgow is awesome in pretty much everything he does (I haven't watched him on Dexter), but Neil is so overdue for a win!

I completely teared up when they showed Michael C. Hall in the audience during Lithgow's acceptance speech and he was wearing a stocking cap because of his cancer treatment. He was fantastic in Six Feet Under and I really hope he beats this.

I was glad to see him win for Best Actor in a Television Drama, too, and when the little voiceover informed us that he'd been in Cabaret on Broadway it was news to me. I've never heard him sing, but now I want to!

Seeing Ryan Kwanten in the audience makes me think I really do need to watch True Blood, if only for the shallowest of reasons! I was fast forwarding past something and stopped and backtracked to see who that beautiful man I'd just caught a glimpse of was.

Speaking of unexpected glimpses of hot guys, Juliana Margulies' husband is a total hottie! I don't think I'd ever seen him before tonight, but I'd certainly like to see more of him!

I can't believe Sigourney Weaver lost again for Prayers for Bobby! She really deserved the recognition.

Alec Baldwin just beat Matthew Morrison for Best Actor in a TV Series Comedy or musical. I like Alec Baldwin, but it seems like he's already won plenty of awards for 30 Rock. Matthew looked very hot, though, and it was nice to see his Glee co-stars behind him in the crowd, cheering him on. There have been far fewer shots of the Glee cast than I expected tonight, given how popular the show is. Maybe NBC doesn't want to promote it more than they have to?

I love Zachary Levi. I wish he was nominated instead of just presenting. I'm glad Chuck is finally back for its third season. Between Zachary and Ryan McPartlin, Monday nights are hotter than ever.

I've been seeing Taylor Lautner's face everywhere for months, especially at work with all the endless Twilight merchandise we carry, but tonight was the first time I'd ever heard him speak. I know there are countdown clocks out there for all the people waiting for him to be legal, but he just comes across like a kid to me. His voice sounded like that of someone who hasn't quite hit puberty yet.

I really need to see (500) Days of Summer. Have I mentioned what an incredible actor I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt is?

It sucks that they chose a presenter from Gossip Girl and it wasn't Ed Westwick! Chace is very pretty, but he can't hold a candle to Ed for sheer sexiness.

How could Jane Lynch not win for Best Supporting Actress??!? Recount! Seriously, that's the one award I really felt certain Glee would win tonight. I'm very disgruntled, probably more so because Chloe Sevigny has always been one of those people that I find incredibly irritating for no particular reason.

Jane looked fantastic, and I can only hope that she'll have better luck at the Emmys and at next year's Golden Globes. I'm sure this won't be her only nomination for playing Sue Sylvester!

How hot does Matt Damon look? I know that's a given, of course, but the man seems even sexier now that he did over a decade ago when I fell for him completely in Good Will Hunting. How is it possible that he keeps getting better with age?

Leonardo DiCaprio still looks good, for example, but I'd definitely pick Leo from The Beach over the Leo of today. I'd chose current Matt over Good Will Hunting Matt without a second thought, though.

Sorry, my casually jotted down thoughts seem to run towards hot guys more than anything else. What can I say?

Oh my God, how much do I love Ricky Gervais for his Mel Gibson introduction?! That was awesome! Best joke of the night. Wow! It helps that I loathe Mel Gibson, of course.

Glee won for Best Comedy!!! Yes!! There was much shouting for joy in my apartment, which is particularly sad since I'm watching by myself. It was so great to see the cast on the stage together, looking so happy.

I didn't really have much to say about the rest of the awards. I haven't seen any of the nominated films in the Comedy or Drama categories, which says a lot about my movie going habits these days. Once upon a time, I practically lived at the movie theater on weekends, but for the last two years in a row I've seen a grand total of two films per year on the big screen. The saddest part is that last year my two choices were real winners: Friday the 13th and Wolverine. Yikes!

I really just prefer to wait and watch films through Netflix these days. It's certainly cheaper that way, though I do miss the excitement of the big screen experience.

Well, The Golden Globes have come and gone. Next stop, The Oscars, where I'll try (and fail) to be less random in my observations.

No comments: