Monday, January 11, 2010

Jane Lynch on Obama

Just when I thought I couldn't love (worship?) Jane Lynch any more than I already did, she proves me wrong!

The woman who makes Sue Sylvester the true star of Glee just gave a fantastic interview to the Guardian which is not only a great interview in and of itself, but also takes on President Obama for his failures on gay rights.

They are, however, projecting their values on to Lynch's private life. This past year saw a nationwide rejection of legalising gay marriage, stripping gay Americans of their hope for equal civil rights. "Shouldn't there be safeguards against the majority voting on the rights of a minority?" Lynch wonders. "If people voted on civil rights in the 60s, it would have never happened. It took somebody like [President] Lyndon Johnson going, 'F all of you! I'm going to do this.'" She pauses for a moment, then says, "Obama won't do it. He's a huge disappointment to me."

And that's how Jane C's it. (Sorry, I couldn't resist!).

While the Guardian's summary is a bit on the dire side (some states did legalize gay marriage this past year, and our hope has not been stripped!), what Jane had to say is completely awesome.

Needless to say, I'm in total agreement with her. If Obama thinks he's going to win the LGBT vote in 2012 by failing to live up to his promises, he's sorely mistaken. It's great to have someone who is very much in the spotlight for their work, as Jane is, speak out about this and bring that much more attention to this complete failure in leadership.

No comments: