Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Upcoming Books

One of my favorite blogs, Band of Thebes, has a new post up on some of the books that will be released in 2010 that they're most excited about. I usually don't pay all that much attention to upcoming books, unless they're by a favorite author, since most of what I read has usually been out for a few years at least. Reading this list, though, makes me think 2010 might be different in that respect.

Looking at the authors listed, I saw several reasons to be excited. First, Andre Aciman has a new novel coming out next month. His debut novel, Call Me By Your Name, was fantastic and while it doesn't look like Eight White Nights will be about LGBT characters, I'll be checking it out because he writes so beautifully.

Ali Smith has a short story collection called The First Person and Other Stories, which is actually out today. I really enjoyed her novels The Accidental and Hotel World, so I'll have to take a look at the short stories.

New titles by Martin Amis, John Banville and Ian McEwan are always worth a look, and they all have books coming out later in the year as well. Gay writers Christopher Rice, Bob Smith, and K.M. Soehnlein all have new novels coming out, and though I wouldn't list them among my favorite writers, I have read their earlier works and will probably check out their latest, too.

Most exciting of all, though, was seeing the name Stephen McCauley on the list! I have loved every single one of McCauley's five novels so much, and I can't wait until his latest, Insignificant Others, is released in June!

McCauley doesn't publish all that often, so this is a huge deal. I think I'm going to re-read his earlier books in the lead up to June to remind myself of what I love about his writing and to build up the anticipation even more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for some new books to read this year, as it's one of my resolutions. So thank you so much for this list! I'm really bad with Author names, so I didn't recognize any of them. I really need to brush up. Some of those books sound very interesting and I'm definitely going to check it out.

Seth said...

You're welcome, though Band of Thebes did all the work, I just provided a link. I'm glad you found some books on the list to interest you. :)