Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Glee: The People's Choice

I typically don't miss many awards shows, even though I tend to fast forward past a lot of stuff that doesn't interest me. One ceremony that I haven't watched in years, though, is The People's Choice Awards.

It's not that I have something against awards chosen by the public, rather than by the industry itself (although, seeing that the night's biggest honors went to Miley Cyrus, Taylor Lautner, and the Twilight movies makes me think that I'm decidedly out of step with 'the public' anyway, since the voters must have all been 15 or under), but because I don't like shows where the winners know who they are in advance and are the only nominees who show up! It takes all the drama and excitement out of the whole thing.

Of course, I haven't watched in about ten years, so maybe they don't do it that way anymore.

I do wish I'd set my Tivo for this year's People's Choice Awards, though. I didn't even know it was on until after it was over, when I read that Glee had won for Favorite New TV Comedy. Looking at the list of winners, I see a few other favorites as well, like Supernatural, which won Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show, and Alyson Hannigan, who won for Favorite TV Comedy Actress for her work on How I Met Your Mother.

I'm glad that Glee is winning the popular vote! I'm hoping that they'll also be getting critical recognition at the Golden Globes and then at the Emmys.

No comments: