Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Let's Talk

I don't usually watch talk shows. When I was younger, I'd tune in for at least part of The Rosie O'Donnell Show nearly every day after school, but other than that I've never been a big fan of the genre. I usually will watch a show only if there's a guest on that I specifically want to see. These days, that means recording it on the Tivo and fast forwarding through everything but the interview in question.

Over the last two days there have been three interviews I really liked, so I thought I'd mention them.

The first was Adam Lambert's appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show yesterday. If there was a talk show I'd watch with any regularity, it would definitely be Ellen's. Not only do I think she's just an amazing person, period, but she's just so funny and yet still someone that seems like she could put anyone at ease instantly.

I had no intention of watching American Idol again this season, since I know there could never be another Adam Lambert and I think anything else will pale in comparison, but with her replacing Paula Abdul as the fourth judge, I might check it out.

Anyway, Adam and Ellen talked about the controversy over the AMAs and Adam again said he felt like there was nothing to apologize for but that he hadn't wanted to offend anyone. Ellen pointed out that if someone was going to be offended by a display of sexuality, they should be offended by all such displays. In other words, if you're not going to be offended by a man and a woman doing something risque, or two women, then you can't cry foul just because it's two men.

Adam: "I think, too, that... people aren't used to seeing gay men portrayed that way on TV. I mean, the gay male image in the media tends to be very cliche and safe. And I think I got up there and had a little bit more energy..."

This is a very good point. I'm so sick of hearing homophobes say that they're fine with gays as long as they don't 'have to see it'. They apparently don't realize how bombarded we all are by heterosexuality everywhere we look. It's time they got over it and realized that them not wanting to see it is their issue, not ours, and we're not sacrificing our equality because they have issues.

After their chat, Adam performed Whataya Want From Me, the song that I am currently obsessed with and listening to several times a day. There are some other songs on his CD that I really love, but that particular one is definitely the best.

The next talk show appearance was by the person whose song was my obsession for the last few weeks, Chris Colfer. I don't even know how many times I've listened to his version of Defying Gravity from Glee since I bought it. Of course, I listen to all of the songs from Glee quite a bit, but something about Colfer's version of that song just gets to me.

Anyway, he was on The Tonight Show last night and I was very surprised by how relaxed and funny he was. I say this because I saw him a few weeks back on The Bonnie Hunt Show and he just seemed so nervous then! Last night, he seemed completely at ease and he was incredibly funny, cracking Conan up with his impression of the kid from The Omen and just generally being quick witted.

Colfer has really blown me away with his portrayal of Kurt. The scenes between Kurt and his father in the episodes 'Preggers' and 'Wheels' were amazing, and Chris impressed me even more with the scenes between Kurt and Finn in 'Ballad' where they bond over the fact that they've both lost a parent. Even beyond those episodes in which he played a big role in the week's story, there are several small scenes in other episodes that seem to stand out more than they would in the hands of a less capable actor.

It's funny, I expected to love Glee for the humor and the music, and I expected to drool over Matthew Morrison (and Mark Salling, aka Puck, was an added bonus in that department!), and I certainly do. I didn't expect, though, that there'd be this completely unknown actor who'd impress me this much and make the character of Kurt truly mean something to me.

Finally, rounding out the trifecta of talk, I recorded this morning's The View to see Kristin Chenoweth. There are certain personalities on that show that really get under my skin, so I have to really like someone to watch them when they visit that particular talk show!

Kirstin was there to promote her new Lifetime Christmas movie, Twelve Men of Christmas, which looks pretty cute and has a bunch of hot, shirtless guys in it! That, plus Cheno, what more could you ask for? Well, maybe a song or two, but even without that, I'll be tuning in.

They talked about her Emmy win for Pushing Daisies and how she asked for work during her acceptance speech. I still can't believe that no one has given this woman the lead in her own show now that she's free!

She briefly mentioned her upcoming return to Broadway in Promises, Promises, but they changed the subject before she could really say anything more about it. That was annoying, especially since they gave far more attention to the fact that she'll be a guest judge on American Idol this season.

The best news is that she'll also be returning to Glee as April Rhodes, which should be pretty fantastic.

No comments: