Sunday, September 20, 2009

Thoughts on the Primetime Emmy Awards

The 61st annual Primetime Emmy Awards were on tonight and since I love awards shows, I thought I'd share my thought about the proceedings with you. If it turns into a love letter to Neil Patrick Harris in blog form... well, can you really blame me?

I liked his opening number, although it wasn't nearly as good as his closing number from this year's Tony Awards. Still, he looked fantastic and sounded great. He's pretty much the perfect award show host, and probably the world's most perfect gay man. He should be cloned so that in the future, we can all have our own NPH.

The way they divided up the awards by genre this year was an interesting touch. I thought that worked out pretty well, especially since it allowed me to just skip right past all the reality show awards in just a few seconds.

The very first award was for Supporting Actress in a comedy and I really, really wanted Kristin Chenoweth to win, not only because I completely adore her and thought she was amazing as Olive Snook, but because Pushing Daisies was such a fantastic show and it really deserved at least one major award.

When they called her name as the winner, I'm sure my neighbors must have thought I was either losing my mind or having really great sex. I mean, why else would I be shouting "Yes! Yes! Yes!" so loudly?

Her tearful and hilarious acceptance speech just summed up why I love her so much. Someone give the woman a lead part in her own show, please!

The next award was Best Supporting actor in a comedy and of course I wanted Neil Patrick Harris to win for his great work on How I Met Your Mother. Plus, he and his partner, David, looked so great together sitting in the audience and I really wanted to see a kiss between them when Neil's name was called.

Alas, it was not to be. It especially sucks that he lost to someone from Two and a Half Men. Ugh! At least it lead to some good comedic moments from NPH about being a sore loser.

I am glad that the Award for Best Actress in a Comedy went to Toni Collette (whose Australian accent always surprises me) for United States of Tara. I loved her performance and am still counting down the days until the show comes back for a second season. Like I said when the nominations were first announced, though, as comedic as the show is at times I'm still on the fence as to it being a comedy and not a drama.

After that award, there wasn't much I cared about in particular until Neil Patrick and Nathan Fillion's cameos as Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which was great. I loved the bit they did for the show tonight and the original source material.

I really like Jessica Lange, who won Best Actress in a Movie or Mini-Series. I think she's one of the most talented actresses in the business. That said, I wanted Sigourney Weaver to win for her fantastic work in Prayers For Bobby. Still, if someone else had to win, I'm glad it was Lange.

I like the recent trend of doing a live performance during the In Memoriam segments, and they got it right this time by not trying to show the singer and the clips of those who'd passed away all at the same time, which in past attempts meant not being able to see all the people they were honoring.

Honestly, most of the rest of the awards weren't really ones that I had any favorites for, so I don't have all that much to say about any of them.

It was disappointing to see 30 Rock win yet again for Best Comedy, though, especially against How I Met Your Mother in its first nomination. I like 30 Rock a lot, but the Emmys always seem to get in these ruts where they just honor one show over and over for several years and it just isn't fair. I also didn't think 30 Rock was quite as good this year, since they've started relying so heavily on guest stars.

Well, that's about it. I'm so thrilled for Kirstin Chenoweth! That was the best part of the night, other than NPH just being generally awesome. I hope he hosts the 62nd annual Emmy Awards and that Glee dominates the night next year!

No comments: