Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Booker Shortlist Announced

A little over a month ago, I noted the longlist selections for the Man Booker Prize. It was my plan at the time to read as many of the nominees as I could, but to date I'm still on the waiting list for every available title except one, which I checked out but returned without reading. That wasn't a judgement on the novel in question, Samantha Harvey's The Wilderness, it just so happened that I was reading other things and my time ran out.

Today, the committee announced the shortlist for the prize, narrowing the selection down to six nominees:


A S Byatt The Children's Book

J M Coetzee Summertime

Adam Foulds The Quickening Maze

Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall

Simon Mawer The Glass Room

Sarah Waters The Little Stranger


The winner of this year's prize will be announced on October 6th. Maybe I'll have read some of the titles by then, since I've have hold requests placed on three of them with the library for well over a month now.

Maybe from now on I should make it a goal to read the previous year's nominees instead of the current crop, which never quite seems to work out.

No comments: