Monday, October 19, 2009

Out of the Closet and into the Glee Club

So, last week I read an interview on We Love the Soaps with Jonathan Groff, an actor who'd been nominated for a Tony for playing the lead in Spring Awakening. The interview was about his stint on One Life to Live a few years back.

I remember hearing about his story on the soap (which featured him as a school shooter and which was rewritten after it had been filmed, due to the events at Virginia Tech right around the same time it would have aired), but it was before I'd started watching OLTL.

Reading the brief interview, I thought Jonathan came across well and that he looked really cute in the picture. I regretted a bit that I'd missed his time on the show, but I didn't give it much more thought than that.

Now, just a few days later, Jonathan Groff is suddenly very much on my radar. First came the announcement that Jonathan would be joining Glee for a five episode run as the male lead in rival glee club Vocal Adrenaline, reuniting with his Spring Awakening co-star Lea Michele, who of course plays Rachel on Glee.

As exciting as that bit of news is, things get even better: I just read on AfterElton that Jonathan was at the National Equality March last week, and that the cutie took that opportunity to publicly come out of the closet as gay!

By the way, the article in which Broadway.com casually mentions Groff's coming out also highlights the many Broadway connections to the National Equality March.

An openly gay Tony nominee with a past connection to One Life to Live doing a multiple episode story arc on Glee? The fates couldn't have designed a person for me to be more interested in if they'd tried!

The only thing I'd like better is if his character was a new love interest for Kurt, rather than Rachel. But, hey, you can't have everything!

In the meantime, I'll settle for this picture from the Equality March, borrowed from AfterElton, of Jonathan with another Broadway favorite of mine, Gavin Creel.

No comments: