Wednesday, October 28, 2009

At Last

As you've probably heard, President Obama signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Act into law earlier today. He had this to say:

"After more than a decade of opposition and delay, we've passed inclusive hate crimes legislation to help protect our citizens from violence based on what they look like, who they love, how they pray, or who they are. I promised Judy Shepard, when she saw me in the Oval Office, that this day would come, and I'm glad that she and her husband Dennis could join us for this event."

Earlier this week, I finished reading The Meaning of Matthew, Judy Shepard's book about her son's brief life, his murder, and the impact it had both on the world and on her family. I basically cried throughout the entire book, for Matthew, for what his family lost, and for the countless others who have been attacked and killed both before and after Matthew.

This new law is long overdue.

No comments: