Friday, October 02, 2009

From Milk to General Hospital?!

In what has to be the most unexpected soap news since Joan Crawford filled in for her twenty something daughter on The Secret Storm, it was announced yesterday that film star James Franco will be playing an upcoming role on General Hospital. I don't mean a cameo appearance as himself, either, but a two month stint in a role that has yet to be revealed!

I think it's great that a young film star with a healthy career would do something like this, given the unwarranted stigma that exists towards daytime actors. Sadly, the bad rep about the writing on soaps is pretty well deserved at the moment, at least for most of the shows. General Hospital is included in that, so I hope James isn't expecting anything of Dustin Lance Black magnitude.

With so many declaring the genre of daytime soaps to be dead or dying, this could certainly give it a shot in the arm. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Speaking of soaps, I'm still completely behind on Kish and Nuke. I'll write about each individual episode as I catch up in the coming days, but it may be a week or so before I'm completely caught up.

No comments: