Friday, May 01, 2009

Van Hansis Auditioning for Other Roles


I just saw this blurb in Nelson Branco's Suds Report:

• Should Nuke fans be worried about losing Luke Snyder? Van Hansis (Luke) recently told The Suds Report he’s been busy auditioning for roles in independent films and nighttime shows. “I was even up for roles on Gossip Girl and [new NBC series] Kings,” reveals the Daytime Emmy-nominated superstar. “But I’m not planning on leaving World Turns just yet. It’s good to keep your options open. I have outs in my contract.” Very smart, Van, considering World Turns may only be spinning for one more year.

I can't say this is surprising. I could tell from the very beginning of Van's time on the show that he was something special and he's worked in three theatre productions in his time on the show, so it was always obvious that he wouldn't be content to just keep the day job.

Of course, as Branco notes, the future of As the World Turns itself is very much in doubt at the moment. Everyone seems content to let head writer Jean Passanante and Executive Producer Chris Goutman continue to run things into the ground rather than try to salvage the show, so I don't think the ratings will be rising any time soon.

Losing Van Hansis would be a huge blow for daytime in general and for As the World Turns in particular, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think he deserves better material. I'd be really sad to see him leave but if he'd landed a role with decent writing, I'd be thrilled for him and excited to follow his career as it progressed.

The upside to Van possibly leaving the show is that I wouldn't have to watch it ever again! I can't deny that I'd be very glad to delete that particular season pass from my Tivo, given what an unwatchable mess the show is. Of course, if he'd landed a role on Gossip Girl, I would have had to tune in to that! Not that GG is as bad as ATWT, of course, I just couldn't get into it when I tried to watch it. Seeing Van and Ed Westwick interact onscreen would probably have made my heart stop anyway!

No comments: