Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Results Are In- And I Love Them!

There's nothing quite as silly as a grown man jumping up and down in his living room, shouting with joy over a television show. Yet, that's the scene that would have been on view to anyone peeking in my window a little awhile ago as I watched this week's American Idol results show.

The finale that I've spent the last week hoping fervently for is actually going to become a reality! Tonight, Danny Gokey was sent packing while Adam Lambert & Kris Allen became the Top 2. They definitely deserved the top spots based on last night's performances. Adam did a beautiful version U2's One (a judge's pick by Simon) and closed on a rock note, with Aerosmith's Cryin'. Kris did a decent version of One Republic's Apologize (a pick by Randy & Kara) and then absolutely killed with his version of Kanye West's Heartless.

Honestly, if Kris Allen is the winner next week, I'd be okay with that. As I've said before, I don't think Adam needs to win. He'll clearly have a career no matter what happens next week. Kris, whom I originally noted as having a decent voice and providing eye candy, has increasingly impressed me as the weeks have gone by. I clearly undervalued his talent at the start. What's more, he's also universally acknowledged as a nice guy and obviously has no issues about being close friends with a gay man, as evidenced by his & Adam's friendship. There's nothing not to love about this guy.

I'm still rooting, and voting, for Adam of course! We're so incredibly close to having the first openly gay American Idol winner, and Adam truly does deserve to win the show based on talent alone. If, however, he comes in second to Kris, I won't be devastated. It would have irritated me to no end to see him come in second to Danny Gokey, however, and I'm glad that's no longer even a possibility.

It's funny, I only started watching this show because of catching Adam's audition by chance. I told myself that I'd only watch for as long as he was on, not thinking for a moment that it would mean months of faithful viewing, and now he's made it all the way to the finale! What I'll do with myself in the post-Idol void remains a mystery to me. I've become quite accustomed to my weekly Lambert fix.

No comments: