Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Glee/Idol

I just finished watching the sneak preview of next season's best new show: Fox's Glee. Seeing all the promos during American Idol these past weeks had made me wild with anticipation, so much so that I wondered if the actual show itself would fail to live up to the hype.

As it turned out, the show was everything I'd hoped for and more. I loved it so much. Matthew Morrison was already someone I liked from his brief stint on As the World Turns, but now I kind of love him! He brought so much to the role of Will Schuester, the Spanish teacher taking over the worst Glee Club in America, and I'm not just talking about his yummy hairy chest! Though, to be honest, after waiting in vain to see a little skin during his daytime stint, it was nice to see it up front this time!

The rest of the cast is equally talented, especially the always incredible Jane Lynch as the diabolical cheerleading coach, and includes gay characters (albeit rather stereotypical ones thus far). The musical numbers were awesome, and it's no surprise to see that this is all the creation of Ryan Murphy, who once created another show set in high school, a short lived gem of a show called Popular. Oh, and some other show called Nip/Tuck.

We're in for quite a ride with this show, and I'm going to love every minute of it. I just wish I didn't have to wait until the fall season to see the next episode! It may help that I've already downloaded the cast version of Don't Stop Believin' from iTunes and will no doubt listen to it a million times before the next episode airs.

I actually enjoyed Glee much more then I did American Idol's last performance night of the season. Idol just seemed kind of anti-climatic tonight. First of all, they had Adam & Kris each choose a song they'd done earlier in the season to perform and even though they both chose my personal favorites from all their songs (Adam's Mad World and Kris's Ain't No Sunshine), it felt pretty repetitive. Adam did change up his performance, entering in a long coat and with billowing fog all over the stage, and I enjoyed that. Both guys sounded great, I guess just wanted something new song wise.

The next songs were chosen for them by the creator of the show: Adam did A Change is Gonna Come, which was the best performance of the night, and Kris did What's Going On. Two solid performances and I especially liked Adam's voice on his song and the emotional way he performed it. It felt very much like he could be singing about a time when a gay man could win the most watched television competition in America, in fact. Or about the many Civil Rights issues facing LGBT people at the moment, from same sex marriage to being allowed to serve openly in the military.

That middle portion of the show was definitely the highlight of the night. The last two performances were of the same song, something that Kara co-wrote, and I felt really sorry for both guys having to end their run on this show with that song. They did their best, but it just wasn't a good song. Simon rightly made fun of it, in fact, though not nearly as much as I would have liked him to! The rest of the judges ended up imploring the audience to vote on the whole season and not just that last performance, which really said all that needed to be said about the song.

It sounds like there will be a lot of interesting performances on the finale tomorrow night and I'm really looking forward to that. I'd like the show to end on a high note, and tonight definitely wasn't it.

If this truly is just a singing competition, there is no question who should win and there hasn't been since the start of the semi-finals. Adam Lambert has been consistently the best singer and performer on this show. Kris is cute, likable and talented, and may well win tomorrow night, but Adam will be the bigger star no matter what happens.

No comments: