Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Engen Releases a Statement

Former Y&R actor Chris Engen has released a statement addressing the way he quit the soap and the accusations of homophobia that followed.

It's a long statement that, for me personally, doesn't really address the issue of why he left, other than saying that his 'visage and craft were being used to tell a story that I wasn't inspired to tell.' It's really just a very long self justification that, in the end, justifies nothing.

He also addresses the issue of homophobia:

I want to apologize to any of my fellow actors who I may have disappointed. I would also like to apologize to those of you who feel slighted by this choice, as I have been branded a "homophobe" by several members of the press. This is, of course, absurd and many of my dearest friends are homosexuals who would be more than happy to speak on my behalf. My decision had nothing to do with religion, or anything I learned at Bishop Montgomery High School. Bishop is a great institution of learning that encourages tolerance and acceptance of others. I do not ascribe to any one religious ideology but do value the truth that exists in them all. I think the unfortunate assumption that has been made is that Catholics are intolerant of homosexuals on the basis of their Catholicism. Intolerance of anything is a product of one’s underlying belief system as an experience of limitation. It is the line we intellectually draw within ourselves that prevents us from understanding those things we reject, because it defines the boundaries of who we are as individuals. We are what we are, but we are also NOT what we are not. Intolerance is a natural reaction that, I believe, we must understand in order to defeat. It is not a fire to be stomped out by an angry foot or extinguished by a inundating stream of media exposure. Homosexuality is a quality of beingness: one of many qualities that make up the rich diversity that humanity expresses.


I've known quite a few homophobic people who almost immediately proclaim, when confronted, that they have lots of 'homosexual friends'. I'm not saying that Engen is another such person, but the use of the terms 'homosexuality' and 'homosexuals' over and over, instead of the term 'gay', always sets off alarm bells for me.

As for what he says about Catholics, I completely agree that there are a lot of open minded Catholics out there (not to mention LGBT Catholics), many of whom are trying to change their Church's outlook on gays and lesbians from the inside.

At any rate, I'm not impressed with Engen's reasoning and justifications. The story he wasn't 'inspired to tell' involved him kissing another man. There's just no getting around that, no matter how many 'homosexual' friends he has who are willing to jump to his defense (and where are they, by the way?).

He also claims his former co-stars would 'speak on his behalf', too, if they weren't 'afraid of the consequences'. Yet, even the anonymous quotes we've seen from them haven't been supportive of his actions.

Engen is yesterday's news. He can try to muster up a career in which he doesn't have to play any 'uninspiring' stories and I'll be fine never seeing him on my television screen again. I'm more than ready to see Michael Muhney as Adam.

No comments: