Wednesday, February 17, 2010

NYC Longing

There have been countless times when I've found myself wishing that I lived in or near New York City. There is just so much I'd love to see and do there- theater, music, museums, life!- and I've always told myself that one of these days I'd move there. My entire life (family, friends, etc) is based on the West Coast, though, so at this point I think I'll have to settle for being a tourist, if I can ever manage to actually save some money for a trip in this economy.

I wish I could be there a few days from now, though. Next Sunday night Michael Urie and Becki Newton (who of course play Marc and Amanda on Ugly Betty) will be doing a show together at Feinsteins at Loew's Regency called Becki and Michael IS Broadway.

The two of them are so hilarious together, I know it's going to be a fun night for those who are able to attend. I love the video from their appearance at last year's Broadway Backwards, where they performed 'Getting Married Today' from Company. There is also an amateur video on YouTube that I've watched at least three times of their very funny TV theme song performance from a 2008 show called Broadway Loves the 80's.

Which all adds up to me being a huge fan of these two and wishing I could be at this Sunday's show! Michael gave an interview to Theatre Mania which was mostly about his show The Temperamentals (which also sounds fantastic and like something I'd want to see!) and mentioned the show:

'TM: You're also doing this show at Feinstein's with your good friend and co-star Becki Newton, who plays Amanda on Ugly Betty. Can you tell us more about that?

MU: It's called Becki and Michael IS Broadway, and it's going to be hilarious. Early in the first season of Ugly Betty, Becki and I were asked to sing a song at a benefit and so dressed up like Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond and we sang "You Don't Bring Me Flowers." And we loved it so much, that we became addicted to it, and since then, we've done so many appearances together that we finally decided, let's just do our own show. It's sort of a like a cabaret show that you might see at Feinstein's, but it's also off-the-wall funny. I don't want to give it away, but there are versions of songs from shows like Phantom of the Opera, A Chorus Line and Gypsy that you haven't heard before. We're shamelessly attacking everything and anything musical theater. Hopefully, it will move to Broadway. Actually, I think it would be fun to do Becki and Michael IS Broadway Off-Broadway.'

Maybe it will become a regular show and I'll be able to see it when I finally get to NYC! I was hoping I could manage a trip this spring or summer to see Kristin Chenoweth in Promises, Promises, but now I'm hoping that the show will have a good long run so I have the chance to see Kristin in it later on.

As if Becki and Michael IS Broadway weren't tempting enough, the very next day is the latest edition of Broadway Backwards, the annual show benefitting Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. This is the show where the male performers sing the female parts, and vice versa. It always looks like such a fun time!

Well, maybe next year, though I seem to say that each year! Thank God for the bits and pieces that show up on YouTube!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey just so you know, Kristin is only contracted to do Promises, Promises until September. She's only doing a 6-month run.

Seth said...

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I probably won't be able to see her. :(