Tuesday, March 02, 2010

"We're here; we're queer; we read."

There's a new place online for LGBT book lovers, and as soon as I read about it on Towleroad I could tell that it was going to be one of my favorite sites. Lambda Literary is a new webzine that will, in their own words:

"...aggregate the best links from LGBTQ and mainstream book news websites and newspapers, feature provocative interviews, under-reported stories, and thoughtful, of-the-moment book reviews and nurture a social community that comments, critiques, links back, twitters, blogs, and interacts both online and in person."

That sounds completely awesome and I'm only surprised that it hasn't really been done before now!

Nicola Griffith, a board member of the Lambda Literary Foundation, expanded on the idea behind the new site:

"We're here; we're queer; we read. And on March 1st, we'll be even more visible to the world and to each other. We're a community that loves books. We need books. All kinds of books: yaoi and high lit, graphic novels and celebrity tell-alls, heart-wrenching memoir and YA fantasy. We read to save our lives. We write, we edit. We publish, distribute, review, sell, advertise, lend, and buy. And Lambda Literary will now be home for the whole of the brilliantly diverse community that creates and supports our literature."

I'm hooked already! Book reviews! I don't think I've ever read a book review of a gay themed book, unless it was a very mainstream one or had won an award.

The news about upcoming books will be invaluable, too, since as I noted a few months back, the bookstore I work in is carrying fewer and fewer gay and lesbian fiction titles, which makes it harder to discover works by new authors.

3 comments:

Nicola Griffith said...

Thanks for that. I'm delighted you like the site.

We'll have something new every weekday.

Seth said...

Thank you! It's a fantastic site. :)

Hm, What? said...

Wow, what a great find. I'm bookmarking it RIGHT now.