Thursday, March 04, 2010

We're Gonna Smurf a Party!

Nothing can take me back to my childhood as quickly as thinking about the cartoons I loved to watch as a kid. Just about every Saturday morning and every afternoon when we got home from school, my little sister and I could be found watching various animated shows.

A few months ago, I was at work and something- I have no idea what- reminded me of the theme song from Duck Tales. For the rest of the day, I walked around humming lines like "You might solve a mystery, or rewrite history, Duck Tales! Woo oooh!" and "Bouncing here and there and everywhere, they are the Gummi bears!" (thinking of one show having inevitably lead to another).

I think one of the cartoons I most loved as a kid, though, was The Smurfs. I haven't seen an episode in years, but I bet I could still list the plots of several of them, I saw them all so often. My best friend and I would even say "We're gonna smurf a party!" (a line taken, if I'm remembering right, from one of those mid 80's holiday TV movies starring the little blue creatures) whenever we were given permission to sleep over at each other's houses on the weekend.

I heard a few months ago that they were going to be doing a feature film version of the show, but I really didn't give it much thought beyond a moment of surprise that The Smurfs were still considered to be commercial enough to get that kind of attention.

Now they've cast Neil Patrick Harris, of all people, as a live action character (the movie is to be mixed animation and live action) in the film, and I feel as though the seven year old me and the present day me have somehow managed to come together in some kind of strange time paradox!

Thinking about this has made me so nostalgic for all those old shows and for those Saturday mornings when we'd camp out in front of the TV with our cereal and spend an hour or two lost in the magic of other worlds.

I probably wouldn't have even considered seeing the film version without NPH in it, but now that it's officially on my radar, I really hope they don't mess it up!

No comments: