Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Getting My Gay Soap Fix

Since the news broke that One Life to Live was ditching Kish, I haven't watched a single episode of an American soap. I fully intend to watch the remaining episodes of the Kish and Nuke storylines, and the shows are beginning to fill up my Tivo in a way that will demand action sooner rather than later.

The truth is, though, that I just haven't had the slightest desire to press the play button so far. I'm so incredibly disgusted with the people who are running daytime (into the ground), and I just can't bring myself to care enough at the moment to tune in.

I've always been a fan of the soap genre, though, and that will never change. In the future, I'll just be seeking them out from somewhere other than network TV. Lately I've been getting my fix from outside the United States, in fact.

There's nothing new in that, of course. I've written before about my love of Christian and Olli on the German soap Verbotene Liebe. I'm not sure if I ever wrote about the fact that I was a huge fan of the gay storyline that the British soap Hollyoaks did a few years ago, with John Paul McQueen and Craig Dean (dubbed McDean by their fans). It was a very well told story.

After the guys broke up and Craig left town, there was John Paul and Kieron, the hot gay priest who (eventually) gave up his collar to be with John Paul, only to then die tragically, in scenes that were very painful to watch, just in time for John Paul and Craig to reunite and ride off into the sunset together (yay for a McDean reunion, boo for killing off Kieron instead of keeping him around and giving him a new love interest!)

I've seen gay stories on other British soaps (Eastenders, Emmerdale, and Coronation Street) but so far nothing else had even come close to McDean.

That is, until Aaron Livesy's story began on Emmerdale. Now, I'm not saying that Aaron's story surpasses McDean, so if you're one of the very vocal fans of that pairing, don't place a price on my head or anything. I'm just saying that it's the only story so far that has the potential to come close.

Emmerdale, unlike the other British soaps I mentioned above, doesn't take place in a city but rather in a small rural village. There have been other LGBT characters on the show in the past, and there has even been a gay wedding in the village, but I don't think they've ever done anything as powerful as the story they're telling right now with Aaron.

The character of Aaron is a rather thuggish 18 year old mechanic who lives in the village with his mother's ex-boyfriend, local veterinarian Paddy. He's had a troubled past and has a strained relationship with his mother and an absent father. In spite of his demeanor and his tendency to lash out at people, Aaron of course has a big heart that he keeps hidden away. Last December, Aaron got caught up in a moment and nearly kissed his best friend Adam, who isn't gay (sadly enough, since they'd make a really cute couple!). Aaron denied that he was gay, and even insisted that he'd never tried to kiss his friend, and to prove it he began dating Adam's sister, Holly. (Aaron is on the left, below, Adam is on the right, with Holly in the center)


Things quieted down for a few months, but after Holly broke up with Aaron, he began trying to get up the nerve to go to a gay bar in a nearby town. Eventually, he managed to go inside very briefly, but it didn't go over very well. Aaron seemed disgusted by the men around him, and when the one guy he did seem interested in asked him to play a game of pool, Aaron ran out of the pub and beat up some innocent garbage cans nearby.

In the meantime, Paddy had become worried that all of Aaron's mood swings and secrecy meant that he was either using or dealing drugs.

Last week, Paddy confronted Aaron with his suspicions. In the end, he realized that he was wrong, but also figured out that Aaron was gay. Paddy tried to be supportive, but Aaron lashed out and beat Paddy up.

I was liking the story a lot up to this point, but the scenes that really blew me away and made me a huge fan were when Aaron returned to the house and broke down in tears over what he'd done to the only person who really cared about him. Danny Miller, the actor who plays Aaron, was beyond amazing in these scenes, and I think he's easily one of the most talented people I've ever seen working in soaps.
After apologizing to Paddy, Aaron explained that he hated gay people and didn't want to be one, that he'd been fighting it. Paddy told Aaron that he himself had only been in love three times and that he'd had his heart broken each time, but even so he'd never deny himself the chance to be in love again, and that's what Aaron was proposing, a life without love.

Aaron said that he'd rather live a lonely life than a queer one, but Paddy got him to open up about the first guy he'd ever loved and tried to get him to open up about his feelings for Adam, but at that point Aaron shut the conversation down and decided to leave.

I'm doing these scenes no justice, by the way. They're incredibly heart wrenching and my eyes teared up more than once. You can watch them online starting here or you can watch Aaron's whole story, going all the way back to last July, here.

This week, Aaron came home but he told Paddy that he'd sorted things out and that he just was never going to be with a guy.

Clearly, Aaron is troubled and has a long way to go, but this story has been incredibly well written and acted so far, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

One of the most amusing things about all of this, by the way, is that Aaron's co-worker at the garage, Ryan, is played by actor James Sutton, who used to play John Paul McQueen on Hollyoaks! I guess the American equivalent would be if Van Hansis and Scott Evans ended up on the same soap together.

9 comments:

dkellergrl said...

I've come to the same conclusion about not watching anymore American daytime soaps. It's not like I'm trying to "punish" anyone associated with the genre, specifically the actors, but I'm tired of the hypocritical BS that's coming from TPTB.

I'm tired of not acknowledging that I'm not "mainstream" enough for TPTB. I'm tried of knowing that TPTB really think that we're "trainable" and that we'll watch anything, because of "habit".

European and UK soaps are where it's at, in the possibility that you can have diversity and not have it JUST for appearance's sake. I mean, if an Argentina soap (telenovela) can have a storyline featuring two hot and masculine male characters (soccer players) falling for each other (along with hot kisses), how in the hell can an American soap say that a storyline between a medical student and police officer was just not "acceptable" enough for their audience? Most Latin American countries are more religious than the United States.

It continues to boggle my mind and it's shameful that TPTB are still so damn scared of something that really isn't so scary. I hate to make the comparison, but if rape, misoygny and murder are considered "mainstream" for a genre that's originally created for FEMALE VIEWERS, then count me out as a viewer.

I've been following the Aaron storyline on Emmerdale and I'm glad that they DO have a character who has such a self hatred of himself. I'm not gay, but as much as things have developed over the decades for young and questioning GLBT folks, lots of folks still don't really want to be different. They don't feel "normal", even IF they have someone supporting them 100%. It's about how THEY feel about themselves. I'm glad that TPTB didn't go down the same road as Hollyoaks, because as you said, NOTHING can ever be like the McDean sl. I was a major fan of the Craig/John Paul pairing at the time, but then I really liked the characters separately and didn't have an issue with JP moving on and pursuing another relationship with Kieron (whom I adored and I'm still a little bitter about how that character was killed off).

Seth said...

I'm in complete agreement about American soaps.

I also agree about Aaron being an interesting change to the type of gay characters other British soaps have done recently. We've seen denial before, but I don' think we've seen such self hatred and so much bottled up pain.

I think Aaron's self hatred makes complete sense given his background, family, and where he lives. I also think it's going to be an amazing story to see him begin to overcome that. I just hope they don't rush it too much.

dkellergrl said...

I think Aaron's self hatred makes complete sense given his background, family, and where he lives. I also think it's going to be an amazing story to see him begin to overcome that. I just hope they don't rush it too much.

Oh, I'm hoping that TPTB don't rush Aaron into easy self-acceptance, along with the boom "instant boyfriend". As hard as Paddy's tried to show him that he's cared for and loved, I think the potential new guy HAS to have alot of walls to get through, in order for Aaron to feel that:

1)He deserves to be loved
2)It's okay to be loved
3)He can be more for himself and the folks who want to be in his life.

This storyline isn't just about him being gay and accepting it. It's about him discovering who he is and being able to love himself. You shouldn't have to be a self-hating gay man to understand that situation.

You just have to be a thinking human being.

Seth said...

"This storyline isn't just about him being gay and accepting it. It's about him discovering who he is and being able to love himself. You shouldn't have to be a self-hating gay man to understand that situation.

You just have to be a thinking human being."

Beautifully put! :)

Marina said...

I didn't like McDean at all. It was a really really stupid situation, with no sense at all (maybe because I never liked Craig himself) and I was really disappointed when Kieron (my fav character alone) was killed because the "main stream" of McDeaners never appreciated what Hollyoaks' writers had created with Kieron/JP. But, I don't really know if he was better dead, just to save him from seeing the person for whom he had left EVERYTHING coming back to that stupid brat... yeah, better dead!
Speaking about Aaron, whom I ADORE and Danny is just wow as an actor, I think the main point of this story is to help isolated people who live in very close and small groups of social standards to come out and say: "I'm gay but I'm like before you knew I was gay, a tough son of a bitch asshole"... which is quite brave, actually.
And regarding the difference between the american and european (UK is actually Europe even though it's not a member of the European Union, you know)... well, what can I say? THANK GOD I LIVE IN EUROPE FOR THAT MATTER!

Seth said...

I was actually a fan of both pairings, John Paul & Craig and John Paul & Kieron.

Strictly speaking, Kieron was a far better boyfriend, since Craig really did treat John Paul horribly, what with keeping their relationship a secret and nearly marrying whatever her name was.

Still, I loved the chemistry between Guy Burnett and James Sutton and I was glad that Craig ended up realizing what he'd lost.

I really loved Kieron as a character, though, and hated that they killed him off the way they did.

As for Aaron, I love that they're demonstrating that LGBT people come in all types. It's going to take Aaron himself awhile to realize that, though. He's still stuck on the preconceived notions of what being gay means.

It will be great when he gets to the point where he can deal with his sexuality and let everyone know that he's still the same guy he always was.

Anonymous said...

Whilst Emmerdale is restricted in terms of just how far they can go with this storyline due to the time it airs, I have to say I'm really enjoying how they are portraying it at the moment & its brought me back to the soap (which I used to watch as a kid many a year ago *g*)

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I'll be interested to see your thoughts on it going forward. The 'coming out' (to Paddy at least) episode the other week had me in tears and Danny Miller (and Dominic Brunt) put in yet more amazing work on tonight's episodes and considering the spoilers for the next couple of weeks I can only imagine how amazing they are going to be in future. Dominic Brunt is right though re Danny Miller, the kid is absolutely amazing, he's really knocking out of the park time and time again.

Seth said...

I'll definitely be writing about Aaron's scenes as the story moves forward. I am so completely impressed by him as an actor and the story so far has been fantastic.

I can't wait to see the scenes that aired tonight! :)

ceridwen said...

I liked McDean but I still don't see what the big fuss is about with them. Craig got on my nerves again and again and again and I felt like their big love story was supposed to be there but apart from the passion and the fight to get together there was never a real story...I can't explain myself well. I mean it felt like it was in their head, but not "real". JP and Kieron was real, even JP and Spike was more real to me. Anyway I liked them all so I can't realy complain. I watched ATWT and Days of our Life, they are so boring and slow and... where is the passion? Still you at least have a gay storyline on soaps, we in Italy don't! And to think that Spain should be more religious then us and had such lovely storylines! Like Max & Iago!