Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Power of Glee

Could I ever express just how much I loved last night's episode of Glee? It might quite possibly have been the most perfect hour of television I've ever experienced.

Now, I'm not a Madonna fanatic. I like Madonna's music but I've never been one of those gay guys who completely worship her. Even so, I've been looking forward to this episode of Glee since I read that it was in the works and last week's sneak peek of Sue Sylvester doing 'Vogue' just left me in even greater anticipation.

It turned out to be far better than I'd hoped it would be. All of the musical numbers were fantastic this week, so much so that it's hard to pick a clear favorite! I guess if I had to choose just one I'd say 'Like A Virgin'. I really loved the mix of all the voices on that and it was great to see Santana getting a chance to sing! Plus, it just worked so well with the story and those scenes were very well done. After watching that, I think I have to take back what I said last week about Will and Emma being more sweet than sexy!

Then again, I might have to pick '4 Minutes' as the number I enjoyed most because I loved, loved, loved seeing Kurt and Mercedes get a chance to shine and I'm thrilled with this Cheerios storyline for them! Chris Colfer and Amber Riley sounded incredible together and there was just something so right about seeing them both in Cheerios uniforms! It should be interesting to see how this all plays out. I think the conflict is even better than the whole football team/glee club set up from last fall.

This was just a brilliant episode all around, the humor was there in full force ("When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist."; and Rachel's little "No!" when Jesse challenged Finn to a sing off in the parking lot after school totally killed me!) the stories all moved forward, and I'm intrigued by Jesse joining New Directions.

I'm totally falling for Jonathan Groff in a big way! He's one of those guys who is both sexy and adorable all at the same time, and he's so funny! I love how smarmy and conceited Jesse is!

As if I wasn't already in Gleek heaven by the end of the hour, the previews for next week show that Kristin Chenoweth is back as April Rhodes! I knew she was returning, I just didn't realize it would be this soon.

I love this show so much! It won a much deserved GLAAD award this week for best TV Comedy, by the way, and I loved what Ryan Murphy had to say:

Out writer/co-creator Ryan Murphy accepted the award with cast members including Jane Lynch, whom he thanked for using the show's "national platform" to talk about her engagement to her longtime partner Lara Embry -- "they're registered at Tiffany's," he joked -- and tipped his hat to her fellow out cast member Chris Colfer, who plays Kurt.

"We have so much love for our own Chris Colfer, who at age 19 when the media came calling, Chris was true to who he is instead of waiting to announce (that he's gay) at 40 when it doesn't matter," Murphy said. "This show is about arts education and inclusion, and we are using the show in a great way.

"Chris' character will never be the victim," said Murphy, who noted that next year the out character "will have a boyfriend, and they are going to be prom kings and be popular."

I may not have mentioned this yet, but I love Glee. No, really, I LOVE Glee. If you could marry a TV show, I'd be down on one knee with a ring. I also love everyone involved with it. It's one of those perfect combinations of talent that are so rare that they just create magic.

1 comment:

Haller4307 said...

i don't know you. i just happened to do a google search to see if anyone else named their blog entry the same title as i did today. i agree. best episode ever.